Chapter Thirty One

Sam's P.O.V..

"No." I practically shouted as I shot up out of Daryl's arms. It was still pitch black outside as I felt myself being pulled back down by Daryl.

"You okay?" He whispered in my ear and I just nodded my head and turned away from him to face the wall. "Don't lie to me Sam. You're shaking, what's wrong?" He asked quietly and I just shook my head.

"I'm fine, just go back to sleep." I whispered before resting my head back on the pillow.

It fell silent and I heard Daryl sigh before his light snores filled my ears once again. I waited until he was completely in a deep sleep before slipping out of his arms and making my way down the steps.

"Hey." A voice called from behind me making me jump and spin on my heel. "Sorry I didn't mean to scare you." Dale added as he followed me down the steps.

"What are you doing up this early?" I asked him and he looked me in the eyes.

"I could ask you the same thing." He stated as we sat down on by the table.

It fell so quiet that if you listened closely you would hear a pin drop.

"Tomas." Dale blurted out, it caught me off guard and I felt myself sink back in to my seat.

"Wha... What do you uhh... mean?" I managed to quietly stutter out and he gave me a weak smile.

"That's why you can't sleep. I know because it's the same reason I can't sleep." He whispered sounding completely defeated by his words.

"How.. What..?" I sort of questioned unsure on how to reply to what he said.

"I can't sleep thinking about what he almost did to you. I keep letting you down Sam, maybe it would have been better if I never made it off the farm." He stated and my heart began to ache.

It took a few minutes in silence for me to think of a reply as I was lost for words.

"Don't you dare ever say that again Dale. You weren't to know what was going to happen, nobody was." I replied but he stayed silent. "I'm the luckiest girl in this world to have two amazing men and one perfect little boy, all looking out for me at the same time." I whispered whilst gripping his hand. It fell in to a blanket of silence and I wondered if he was going to answer me at all.

He looked up at me slightly and a small smile played across his lips.

"You and Daryl made up then?" He asked with a chuckle and I smiled.

"Yeah.. I guess we did." I said quietly as a small smile crept  across my face.

"I hate to say I told you so but I t..." I cut him off before he could finish.

"Yeah yeah Dale. You were right." I laughed and he gave me a genuine smile as he squeezed my hand.

"You know, it's good to hear you laugh again." He whispered and I nodded as I heard footsteps approaching me from behind.

I slowly turned around on the seat and came face to face with a very tired looking Daryl.

"What are you two doing up so early?" He yawned as he dropped down to sit beside me.

"Just couldn't sleep." Dale replied simply, like the conversation we just had never even happened. I nodded in reply to what Daryl said and got up off the bench as everyone started to get up ready for the day ahead. I helped cook the breakfast and quickly ate it beside Harry before going to clean everyone's plates.

I was about to head back in to my cell when Harry ran up to me and dragged me back to a cell.

"Mom, look at Hershel." He exclaimed as I rounded the corner to see Hershel slowly moving along on a pair of crutches.