Twenty-Sixth Grain

Author's Note:

Thank you all for sticking with Amaretto so long! Now is when there will be some action as Amaretto and her aunt close in on he first of the three oordinates! Please enjoy and vote as well! Also, if you have any comments, please leave them. I love comments!

~ Sean

* * * * * * * * * *

In Which the Ring's Powers are Revealed and the Cloister is Stormed...

The Cloister of Science loomed up in Amaretto's vision as they walked stately towards the large iron wrought gates that demanded attention from anyone who came near. The gates were not just simple gates however, instead of the traditional iron bars there were small caryatids that formed the spaces where the bars should be. The caryatids were fashioned to look like tall men and women with Bunsen burners and beakers in their hands. However, on either side of the gate there were two larger statues carved from white marble with just that. A woman in a flowing Greek robe held in her hands the implements of science, a ruler, a beaker, and a large plumed helm. In the other figure, a male, he held a large wand that was reminiscent of the medical profession and also held a winged cap in his hands. It didn't take long for Amaretto to notice the small wings jutting out from the statue's ankles as well.

"They are the statues of Athena and Hermes, the gods of Science," said Katherine noticing Amaretto's gaze. Amaretto nodded her head in understanding. There was not much more time to think however as two men in bright red crimson stepped forward. Unlike the other ones that she had seen on the streets of London, these two men were not at first look, IronMen. They had oily smiles, and dark cropped black hair, and the piping that had been used to make them was much thinner than the clunking beast that Amaretto had seen in the city proper outside of the watch shop.

Also, from the back of their heels, the tall black boots were emitting a small thin stream of steam. The IronMan on the left looked at Amaretto for a moment and then turned to Katherine and then looked to their two companions. "What can we do for you today ladies?"

The voice was only slightly mechanical and sounded more like it was being produced from a speaker in the back of the man's throat. Amaretto watched the man's lips and if she hadn't looked very carefully, it would have even looked like the IronMan had actually spoken. Instead, as she watched the contraption's lips, she noticed that the lips only made the largest sounds, and so it looked a little like bad dubbing on a foreign film.

Alice smiled brightly at the IronMan and said, "We are here to tour the Cloister of course."

The other IronMan abruptly shook his head and said, "I am sorry ladies, but access is denied. The cloister is not currently open to the public at this time."

Alice made a face of disappointment. "Bloody hell, and here I was hoping to see the Cloister of Science, maybe even get a peak at Grandmother Chime."

The first guard shook his head and said, "Language most distressing to hear from a lady. Grandmother Chime is not seeing anyone at this moment as she is administering herself to the queen's presence."

Alice huffed and spun on her heel and in the process, turned her back to the facing guards. She quickly mouthed something to Amaretto and at first; Amaretto wasn't sure what to make of it. Then she realized that Alice was telling her to use the ring, so she reached back in her mind and sought out Tempus. He was there in an instant and spoke calmly and reassuringly to Amaretto.

"Don't worry; all you need to do is repeat after me."

"Everything will be okay?" Amaretto questioned.

"As long as you repeat after me, here goes. Put your hand out at the guards and say the following..."

Amaretto put her hand with the strange pearl ring on it out in front of her and then said: