Fourteenth Grain

Grain... In Which Clothes are Discussed...

It was not long before Amaretto was hurried in front of a mirror and Katherine was pulling dress pieces from here and there. Katherine was already moving around in her own purple dress, swishing first one way and then another. It was only a moment before she paused and then smiled.

"You are going to love this. I have the perfect color for you my darling."

Amaretto looked at herself in the mirror, her hoodie was slightly zipped up and her hair still looked a little damp. Behind her, her aunt had pulled out something that looked a little large and fluffy white. She turned around and looked at it. "What is that?" Her tone took on an accusatory manner.

Katherine smiled and then said, "This, dear, is a crinoline."

Amaretto looked at the "What is that you are planning to do with that?"

"I plan on doing nothing," Katherine said demurely. "You however, will be wearing this underneath your dress."

Amaretto shook her head. "I refuse to do so. I will not wear that thing!"

Katherine shook her head and threw the stiffened petticoat off to the side and then put her hands on her rather slimed hips. "I will not allow you to wear those jeans. Think of it this way, if you wear the crinoline, and then you will not have to wear a farthingale, or panniers for that matter. I myself am only wearing a trumpet cage Crinoline. It's actually quite comfortable." Katherine began to preen just a little, smoothing out the dark and light purples of her dress and Amaretto shook her head.

"I said I refuse. You were the one who bought me these jeans anyways. I don't see why I can't just wear these jeans."

Katherine looked a little cross as she was pulled out of her own world. "It is because the working class wears those. No one else does!"

Amaretto shot back, "I'm still in high school! I would think that if anything I would be working class!"

Katherine turned a deep shade of red and then said, "Be that as it may, I can't have you looking like a common harlot in the streets here! It might be okay in your time, but in this time you have to have at least a little decorum!"

Amaretto's mouth dropped open. "You think I look like a whore?"

Katherine shook her head, "I never said that."

Amaretto put her hands on her hips and furrowed her brow. "Isn't harlot just a fancy word for whore?"

Katherine pursed her lips and then said, "Perhaps if you were as astute with history as you are with English, then we wouldn't be having this conversation."

Amaretto stuck out her tongue.

"Getting back to the business at hand, you have to wear something. At least I'm not putting you into a drop-bustle..."

Amaretto sat down in front of the mirror and looked at her aunt. "What's that?"

"A drop bustle is a low hanging bustle that gives the appearance of a longer torso for shorter legs. Usually most women can't pull it off. However, we still have to find you the appropriate clothes."

"So then, the closet is full of Edwardian clothing now, it didn't used to be though; how does it work?"

Katherine waved a hand and then said, "I'm sorry, I forgot to mention; because of what Tempus does, he has to be able to help people blend in if need be."

Amaretto narrowed her eyes slightly and said, "Just what does Tempus do?"

Katherine smiled craftily and then said, "All in good time, I'll get back to that. However, I think you need to know how the closet works. Just tell it what you need, and what period, and it will pull everything it can for you so that you have something to wear. The more specific you are, the smaller the selection."