Thirteenth Grain

So, I have somehow managed to make it through the January Hibernatory Mothns and now have started typing again. enjoy this next piece of Amaretto's Tale!

* * * * * * * *

In Which a Large Clock is Seen, and Wardrobe Adjustments Made...

Tempus looked back at the shadow that was the pervasive entity of the room and then looked at Amaretto in confusion. "I believe that you would call that a clock."

Amaretto frowned and turned back from staring at the dark monstrosity in front of her. She looked at Tempus and the frown seemed to reach so far as to cross her forehead as well. Tempus raised an eyebrow. "Is something the matter?"

"That's a really large clock."

Katherine waved a hand at it. "What were you expecting inside of this space? It's better than the Royal Observatory, Greenwich."

Tempus made a dramatic sigh. "That's because it is the original Royal Greenwich Observatory clock."

Katherine looked up. "Excuse me?"

"It's the original clock that was in the observatory before it was moved to Herstmonceux. I was nice enough that before they were supposed to put up Shepherd gate clock. I took this one in and the great grandfather clock was amalgamated into the keeping track of Time."

Amaretto shook her head. "That sentence made no sense at all."

Katherine spoke while staring at Tempus with a withering glare. "It wasn't supposed to."

Amaretto looked up at the clock and continued to look upwards. The clock continued into the darkness up above and Amaretto could feel a faint sense of vertigo tug at the back of her head before she looked down. As she did so, she saw the large section of the clock swinging back and forth and realized that it was a humongous pendulum. The pendulum was easily twice the height of her standing in two inch heels. Amaretto looked at Tempus and he merely shrugged. "That thing is for keeping the exact time. Occasionally, I will have people from the Observatory in here to make sure their clock is running correctly, but that clock is never in error." He spoke casually, but Amaretto was still in awe with the giant clock. Even still, she realized that if she listened very closely, she could hear the clock ticking underneath everything that was going on in the timeless void that Tempus called a room.

Amaretto moved over to the table and sat down. Katherine was already sipping on a small cup of tea that she had poured for herself and this time, the china was bone white with thin silver filigree on it. Katherine placed the teacup down and then looked over at Tempus. "As much as this is a good thing, I must insist that we have a change of clothes."

Amaretto raised an eyebrow as her stomach twisted only slightly. "A change of clothes?"

"If we are going to be walking around, I hardly think that you should be walking in jeans and a t-shirt."

"You think we are going to be walking around?"

"Absolutely, I think that you should also get a chance to get out of those wet clothes..."

"I'm hardly wet at all!"

"And I think that if we get you into a proper outfit, that we would all be happier."

Amaretto snorted. "A proper outfit; I hardly think that what I am wearing is not proper."

Tempus made a slight smile and then mused aloud. "Well, I'm sure the fact that you are wearing jean in the first place will be quite scandalous, but the fact that they actually show off your legs would be a disaster, perhaps a call of public indecency."