Prologue - ANIMALS SHOULDN'T TALK!

I woke up with the sun beaming on my face. It's too early. Stupid sun, why can't you wait a little longer? Just a little? I pleaded with the sun, but it was ridiculously stubborn and refused to admit the fact that I was right and maybe we both needed a little more sleep. Either way, I was far too awake to go back to sleep so I sat up and rubbed my eyes.

While I got dressed I checked my shoulder.

"Yup, still there." I muttered bitterly at the sight of the iguana tattoo on my right shoulder. It was probably the worst mistake I'd made yet and an eternal reminder of the bet I'd lost. It doesn't look puffy anymore, so I guess that's a plus. I tried to be optimistic, but even I couldn't put a good enough spin on it to make me feel better.

I finished getting ready and grabbed a muffin from the counter of my sleeping house. Although the house isn't sleeping. It's just the people. But it'd be cool if the house could sleep. But then it'd have to be alive! And then the house could go evil and kill everyone by.... I rambled on in my head as I was getting myself a glass of orange juice.

As I grabbed the glass, I looked over at the window and saw that stupid Iguana. It cost me not only my pride, but now my shoulder was forevermore blemished by a tattoo. I had made a stupid gamble on whether I could get the thing to like me or not. I know, I know, stupid for betting with that high of stakes, but with my history with animals and the fact that the other guy was going to get an amazingly embarrassing tattoo, I couldn't pass it up!

I didn't blame the animal, I figured that they must've cheated. Now, the iguana - who I deemed was Liz, after the Magic School Bus and my youngest sister who was now 2 - seemed to love me, but before it was flipping out like, like my best friend when someone says one of the following words:

- Irregardlessly

- Funner

- Ain't

She's a bit of a grammar natzi if you haven't caught that by now. That wasn't even close to the real list, but no one has that kind of time on their hands.

I finished pouring my glass of orange juice and placed it down, but not before letting Liz crawl onto my shoulder and then up onto my head. I grabbed my cup, well really it was a mug - I couldn't find any cups, and walked outside onto the balcony of my family's apartment. I looked at the city, which was so peaceful in the morning, nice and quiet, and I leaned on the fence.

I sighed, knowing that I'd have to go to school soon and turned back around with one last glance and went back inside. I grabbed my backpack and my dufflebag for sports and walked out and down the stairs leaving a note behind for my parents explaining why I was leaving so early. I walked about a block from my house before I pulled out my headphones and slipped them onto my head blasting my music about as loud as I could. Liz walked along right beside me and I walked aimlessly about towards my favorite place.

I opened up the door and heard the familiar bell ringing as I stepped in.

"Kal, is that you?" a friendly voice called from the back of the store.

"Yeah, Leah, I'm here!" I yelled to the back of the store.

Leah, my oldest sister - well halfsister, ran the animal shelter by herself. With my help occasionally. She was 26 years old and already had a multimillion dollar organization, or at least it would be if it weren't nonprofit. All the money goes back into the animals, and you could see that clearly by the state of her shelters. I walked past the pens, they were so much larger than cages, and towards the storage, where Leah was always looking for things.

"Leah! Le! Where are you?" I shouted and listened as I listened to my voice echo.

"Over here!" she replied.