Chapter 29- Chess and Confess

Sunday, January 29th 12:30PM

Seymour Dojo and Fitness Center

Jamie watched Bandit warily across the chess board before making her first move and waiting for his first question. Korbin was gently cleaning the scrapes on her back, or at least he was trying to. Until Bandit had come down with the old chess board, she had struggled to keep still as Korbin's hands gently tended her back. Her back had seemed overly sensitive to his every touch, but it wasn't painful. She was just hyper-aware. The more she had struggled to keep still, the more her back muscles had twitched in anticipation of what almost seemed caress despite the scrapes. She knew from experience that Bandit just wanted to distract her into spilling the full story. She wasn't sure that she wanted to admit everything, but when Bandit sat across from her and laid out the chess set, she had started to relax out of habit.

Maybe it was just that she wasn't alone with Korbin anymore. Maybe the game really did distract her. However, maybe it was the following of tradition that settled her nerves. No matter what, at least her back had finally gone still. It wasn't a moment too soon. Korbin was already doing more than he had too. He didn't need her making it more difficult.

Bandit started moving out pawns into his favorite formation, and Jamie automatically began to analize his moves and counter them. After only a couple turns, Bandit asked, "So, you beat up two guys today? Feeling a bit violent right before lunch?"

Jamie felt her cheeks heating with a dark blush, but knew Bandit would understand better than any of her other uncles. She admitted, "Actually, I was a little violent the whole morning. I broke a girl's nose before going to the park with the girls and Korbin." Jamie made her next move and waited for Bandit's response.

He glanced over his shoulder to make sure no one else was around, and then leaned in and commanded in a whisper, "Tell me."

Jamie hesitated, but reminded herself that Korbin already knew about Susie, and Korbin had been right about how people helping her needed to be informed of problems. After a deep breath, Jamie blurted out, "The girl is the captain of the girls' tennis team. Something about her and the kids she was with reminded me of kids from my last school that were always making trouble. Then, she warned me away from Korbin. She grabbed my wrist to keep me there until she finished her warning. When we finally started, she didn't think I could really play, so she wasn't prepared. My shot broke her nose."

"Why didn't she want you around Korbin? He offered to take care of your back. He is worth having around just for that," Bandit responded.

Korbin's hands slowed on her back, and Jamie didn't know what to think. She was blown away by the idea that Korbin had offered to take care of her back. Without thinking, Jamie glanced back at Korbin wondering if it was true.

"Stop moving, or I'll bump your back again," Korbin ordered brusquely and with a little glare.

Jamie whipped back around to face Bandit and found him still watching her. Korbin continued cleaning up the messy scrapes, and Jamie's mind spun as she tried to process her new information. It took a moment, but Jamie eventually remembered Bandit's question and answered, "She said that he was a scary guy, and she thought that I was trying to use him to hunt for a boyfriend among his friends."

Bandit frowned as he stared at the chess board. They each took several turns before he asked his next question, "Was it what she said about Korbin, grabbing your wrist, or how she reminded you of the kids from the last school that was the problem?"

Jamie thought about her feelings and remembered that jealousy had also played a part, but carefully answered, "A combination of it all." Then Jamie made a face and lightened her tone as she tried to change the subject, "You are as bad as Korbin. He insisted on knowing all of the details too."