Chapter Four

The Tattoo – Chapter Four

Mia's POV

"Come on!!!" I yelled from the bottom of the stairs as I pulled down my mini skirt. The boys were taking forever to get ready, and the party we were going to started an hour ago. I sighed and pushed up the sleeve of my cardigan to look at my watch, little ol' impatient me! About fifteen minutes passed and all the boys had trotted down the stairs like it was no big deal that we were going to be close to two hours late for this party I was dying to go to. "Why is this party so important to you?" Jc asked as we got into the Uber. Well, let's see.... I've been telling him for days that a bunch of my old college friends were going to be there, along with other YouTubers I enjoy. "No reason." I said with a smile as the driver put in our destination and off we went.

"MIA!!" I heard my college best friend scream as I walked into the door of the house. "Liv!" I screamed and hugged her tight. "Let's dance!!" She yelled over the blaring music and dragged me onto the dance floor as she shoved a cup into my hand.

Jc's POV

"Guys..." I said, as we stood in a circle. "The 'L' could stand for Liv." I said, so happy that I almost jumped up in the air and clapped like a sorority girl. "The 'L' doesn't stand for Liv, if it did it would be before O2L's initials, because she met Liv before us. Can you just calm down about the 'L'? It's all you ever talk about anymore." Kian said before disappearing out into the crowd of drunk dancers.

Mia's POV

"Oh, ha. It stands for Marie, Evan, Bethany, Kian, Jc, Sam, Connor, Ricky, and Trevor." I said to a random girl who asked what my tattoo meant the second I pushed up the sleeves of my cardigan. "You forgot the 'L'." She said as she eagerly awaited my answer. "Oh, I don't know what the 'L' means." I said as I swayed back and forth, dancing and drinking the night away. "But you're the one who got it." She said, puzzled. "Oh, no, I was born with it." I said. She looked at me with the blankest stare in the book. "Born with it?" She asked, her voice so soft I could barely hear her. "Yes, I was born with it. It's all the people who are and will be important to me, but I haven't figured out the 'L' yet." I said, it didn't seem like a big deal to me – but to her it made me seem like a freak. "Yeah, okay." She said before flipping her hair and walking away.

I'm a freak. I tell people I was born with a tattoo, and they think I'm making it up. Almost like I'm looking for attention or someone to be that interested in me to think it's cool. Saying you were born with a tattoo makes you look like a liar, someone who has that crazy yet ever so intriguing story at a party – except mine seemed fake. Of course, no one was born with a tattoo, what is this chick crazy?! Well, I guess I'm crazy.

I pushed through the crowd of people to try to find my friends, only to realize that they had all left... without me.

Jc's POV

We all climbed into our Uber and headed back to the house, where Mia was waiting for us. We couldn't find her in the party so we asked around and no one had seen her, then we were told that someone saw her leaving. We were pissed. How could she just up and leave like that?! I wasn't looking forward to getting home, either our anger would melt when we saw Mia curled up on the couch with mascara running down her cheeks – or she would get bombarded with yelling and screaming as to why the hell she left us.

But when we got home, I found that neither of those possibilities were true... Mia wasn't home at all... Mia was at the party.

Mia's POV

I sat outside the house on the stairwell, crying softly as I awaited my Uber, which was going to take more than a half an hour to get here. As I sat on those lonesome steps, I used my fingernails to scratch at my tattoo, in attempt to remove it as if I could... It was a curse, thanks a lot world.

A beautiful baby girl with a tattoo that confuses her relatives. A beautiful kindergartener who is afraid to wear short sleeves because she's different. A beautiful ten-year-old who wants to wear a dress to her birthday party so badly, but knows she must wear a baggy sweater to cover up her 'gift'. A beautiful high schooler who finally is confident in wearing short sleeves but now is attacked with 'what does it mean' every two seconds of her life. A beautiful college student who could finally tell people the real reason she had the tattoo, because she was that confident – only to be shamed for it, because it was labelled as 'probably a drunk mistake'. A beautiful adult who still can't catch a break...

They called it a gift, I call it a curse.