Chapter 9

Chapter 9:

I hope I am a calm person. When you negotiate you do not bang your fist or scream at your opponent. You belittle them with words, and gesticulate until you can't even comprehend what you are thinking of. The business requires this, because no one has the time, everyone wants money.

December seventh 1795, London England

The year of our lord

Diary of William Blake. 

William lay on his bed thinking quietly. He knew today he would have to go to work, yet he wanted to relax a while longer. Yawning he decided a simple stroll would help him relax before he began a day of endless meetings and extravagances. Before all that he put on his breeches, put on yesterday's white shirt and boots. Deciding to leave his hygienic needs till later, he went outside into his garden.

He shoved his hands into his pockets and trudged into the maze. He walked into the center were there was a perfect view of the sunset and sat down. He lent against the tree and closed his eyes, the sun would come soon and now he just wanted to think. Yesterday was the first item on his list of concern.

He had woken up on Katherine's bed, the very picture of indecency. He was naked, and he had remembered her gentle touch- he must have fallen asleep. He was a fool! He was surprised she hadn't fainted from seeing him naked. William had then slipped on his nightgown and looked at sleeping Katherine. He then and put her body back onto her bed. She hadn't woken up, and in fact she had released herself into the bed and seemed to be in another world.

It was good, he wasn't angry that she had fallen asleep but her face was glued in his mind and he did not want to see her when she awoke. Her lips were shut, a shaded pink with a glossy finish. Her eyes were closed but the closed eyelids and the long eyelashes attached were so smooth and finished. Her plait could not keep several strands of hair from her face, which was cupped by her hand as she slept.

He shook his head; at least she looked healthier with rosier cheeks and a chubbier cheek and it had only been over two weeks but she had gained weight. It showed how much she had not been fed in her previous household, William knew slaves normally received leftovers but he thought she would have been a healthier body.

He would have to make sure she would eat more in the future, she was his responsibility and she was not to be ill-treated on his watch. But he shouldn't have been in her room and he vowed he wouldn't make the mistake again. He should have woken up and gone into his bed, allowed her the comfort of her bed. But he knew he could not sleep with her, she did not deserve that.

William opened his eyes and listened to the gentle sound of the day break. He could hear birds tweeting, wind hissing and other calming rewards for just solving his first problem. He then heard a swoosh sound and then a walking movement. "Katherine?"

+++

Katherine froze where she was. Damn. She thought. Yesterday had been a good day, he had treated her with mostly indifference and she had not messed up in front of him for now. But Katherine was not sure about doing it here, in her sanctuary where she thought she was happy and safe. Away from her master, she enjoyed her peace.

He had been naked in her bed, his nightgown had been on her floor and then she had woken up in her bed and he was gone. What had she done last night? Nothing, she had convinced herself, just in order to get up from bed that morning without wanting to go to Hell. And now she could hear him repeating her name, and she couldn't stop wanting to run back into the house.

But Katherine knew that was not an option for her. She belonged to her owner and she had no right to do anything but what he commanded. She had already broken one set of rules in the moral code, she had run away and now she wanted to begin all over again.