Chapter Five

(April 25)
It was a Saturday morning , six O' clock to be exact. Lesley was in the living room sewing. Karson was also up that morning and came in the living room reading a newspaper that was in his hand. "Look what they have here, honey." Karson spoke up as he handed his wife the newspaper. She read the part of the part of the newspaper her husband is pointing to and looked back up to her husband. "They don't want you to be the detective, do they?"

Karson sighed and nodded. "But you've been only doing this role for like two months now and they won't stand a chance to let you be the detective. I can't believe those people. They judge others too quickly." Lesley signed as she pulled her blonde side bang out of her face.

"I know, but maybe they're right, I'm probably just not fit to play the detective." Karson said as his mind was filled with deep thoughts. "It's probably the reason why they hadn't called yesterday. They probably won't call me in today or ever."

"You can't just let them say they're right when they're probably wrong."

Karson turned back to his wife facing her. "Maybe you could take in my part as detective." He suggested. Lesley's eyes grew wide in shock.

"No, I would be horrible playing the part." She confirmed.

"But the thing is that ladies are rarely ever playing those roles. They're always playing the victim's part. Why can't the lady play the heroic role?" Karson asked getting buried back into his thoughts once more.

"You've got a point there." Lesley said as she continued to sew.

"I think we should get the children up, we've got a few things to do." Karson was looking outside through the window as the sunrise started coming up.

"Like finishing the rest of the birthday cake?" Lesley gave out a chuckle.

"Yes." Her husband replied with a smile.

"I'm going to get the children up, the maids can take a little break." Lesely said as she set her sewing work aside and rose up from seat, walking out of the living room to the staircase.

Karson was still looking out the window and it was not long before he heard Lesley screaming out his name. It was terrifying. It was so loud it could wake up the whole household and maybe some of the neighbors next door. The terrified scream made his ears ring and he ran out of the living room up the stairs and to where he saw his wife by their daughter's door frame with tears coming down. When she saw him, she ran over to him. She was sobbing so hard she couldn't get words out. This was the first time that Karson had ever seen his wife in such a state it made him speechless.

It was a deep feeling and he knew she wasn't overreacting. Karson turned to the door that was a few feet away. The door was craked, so he didn't know what was going on. He started walking over the door with Lesely sobbing hard behind him. As Karson reached the door, he opened the door slowly and what he saw in front of him was the scariest and blood curdling thing he ever saw in his life.

On the floor just a few feet away in front of him was seven year old Katelynn Hendrickson on the floor with blood everywhere on her, there was especially a lot of blood at the center of her chest where she had been stabbed. About a foot away from her lifeless body laid an unconscious Bryant, with a beer bottle in one hand and knife with Katelynn's blood smeared onto it in his other. Karson ran out running past his weeping wife and rushed downstairs to the phone to call the police.

He frantically started dialing in 911 and waited for the operator to pick up which took only took a second.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"My daughter's been murdered. Please, help!"

One hour later...

It has been an hour since Karson phoned the police and they were upstairs in Katelynn's room investigating what it was now the crime scene. Unconscious Bryant was still asleep when the police arrived. The first thing they did when they came which only took two minutes they immediately had blocked off the entire room from the family coming in.