Chapter 33

Sorry for such a delay between chapters, ya'll. Life is so crazy right now. I'm finishing up school, recording a piano CD, and getting ready to go into full time ministry, so finding time to write is difficult! But if I could, I'd be writing a lot and uploading all the time! 

But thanks for your continued support, even with so much time lapsing between chapters! Ya'll are awesome! xD

Oh, and check out my new story "Coming Together" :) Lemme know your thoughts!! Should I continue it, or no?

Thank you!

~dlp5566 :)

Katy's POV

I could hear machines beeping and I could feel things attached to my hands, arms, and body, but I could not open my eyes or get my mouth to work. I heard a voices above me and could tell they were talking about me--possibly even to me--but it was impossible for me to speak. 

I moaned softly, trying to get someone's attention. Everything went quiet. Someone touched my hand and a somewhat familiar voice was calling my name. "Katy? Katy, dear? Can you hear me? It's Layton. If you can hear me, please make some kind of noise or movement, please."

I curled my fingers, making just enough movement to be noticeable. "Doctor! Get a doctor in here!" someone called--it wasn't Layton, but I knew the voice from somewhere.

"Carlos, go find the doctor and tell them she's waking up. Get her brother in here, too!" Layton commanded.

Using every ounce of effort I could produce, I tried to open my eyes. Another person had entered the room. I could tell by the sounds of multiple voices talking. "Doc, dude, get her awake," I heard Carter said.

"Son, just give her a moment," a male voice said. "We need to let the anesthesia clear out on its own. It wears off after surgery. But it will take a few minutes for her to wake up."

Carter mumbled something unintelligible and I heard Layton trying to calm him down. Finally, I opened my eyes and saw faces crowded above me, staring into my face. "Katy! What the crap! You scared the freakin' he--sh--uh--crap outta me!"

"Mmmm," I said in response.

"You're okay!" Layton exclaimed. "Praise the Lord! We've been so worried!"

"What happened?" I mumbled.

"You and Jordan got in a wreck last night, Katy," she softly told me.

It was like everything clicked in my brain. I remembered going to Starbucks. Joking around and having fun while we were riding. Then seeing the lights coming right at us. My scream. The crash. The pain. And then, there I was, all laid up in the hospital. And Jordan was....where was Jordan?