Chapter 20

Katy's POV

I couldn't believe how angry Jordan and I were with each other. We'd been married for a little over a month, and we had barely argued. Any disagreement we'd had was petty--whose night it was to wash dishes, what movie we would watch, what game we would play--never anything serious. Yet, during that ride home, we were seriously talking about the D word...divorce. And my heart was fighting against the prospect of ending our marriage.

We rode home in silence, neither of us wanting to speak. Both of us were angry, annoyed, and a little hurt, if we were honest. We got home and I hurried out of the car as fast as I could. I couldn't wait to get inside and escape the awkward atmosphere surrounding Jordan and I. All I wanted was to escape and be alone.

I dashed through the house, not even glancing around to see what my family was doing, or if they were even there. My heels were making it difficult, so I stopped in the hallway to remove them. I ran all the way up the stairs into my room. I locked the door, giving myself some momentary privacy. My hands were trembling as I attempted to unzip my dress. "What is wrong with me?" I said aloud. "How did it all turn out like this?"

It took a few seconds, but I finally got the zipper undone on the dress. I let it slide to the floor. I watched it, relating my feelings to the direction of the dress. Just as the silky fabric slowly fell to the ground, I felt like the fragile pieces of my new life were falling apart as well. To be honest, it was beginning to depress me profoundly.

Tap, tap, tap, I heard on the door. "Uh, just a minute," I called out. I picked up my dress and laid it over the chair in the corner. I grabbed gym shorts, a tee shirt, and the first sweatshirt I could find. I threw them on, then ran to unlock the door. "I'll be out in just a second," I said to Jordan.

"Katy, I, uh--" Jordan began. 

I cut him off mid-sentence. "No, don't. I'll be out of here in a second, like I said. I just need to grab a pillow and a blanket out of the closet. I'm sleeping on the couch."

"No, you're not," Jordan argued. He sat down on the edge of the bed--my bed, and took off his dress shoes.

"Yes, I am," I replied adamantly. I pulled one of the pillows off of the bed, and took a blanket from the chest at the foot of the mattress.

Jordan caught my hand to stop me as I started to walk out of the room. "What?" I said irritably.

"This is your bed. I'll sleep on the couch. Don't act stupid, Katy," he said.

"Little too late for that, isn't it?" I said. I pulled my hand from his and exited the room. I wondered what expression had crossed his face. Did his gorgeous green eyes darken in anger. Did he purse his lips like he did when he was annoyed? Did he laugh to himself over my somewhat dramatic exit? Did he--

I was thinking about the possible facial expressions Jordan could've made when I felt my foot ram into something hard. "Argh!" a muffled groan escaped my throat. I fell onto the floor, holding my now-sore toe. "Daggum," I muttered. "Stupid table. Of course it would jump out and get right in my way on tonight of all nights."