Twenty-Two

A week later Talon and I approach a small town, hoping to find some food. I think we're somewhere in the middle of District 9. Behind the town a large field of grain extends for what looks like miles. As we approach, I can see people streaming toward the center of town.

"I wonder what's going on," I say, glancing at Talon.

He shakes his head. We can't go in there, he says, reading my thoughts.

"Listen, no one knows who you are so they won't recognize you--"

Didn't your brother say they told everyone I kidnapped you and showed my picture to the whole country?

I bite my lip. "We need to buy food. I have money from the Capitol and I'm sure someone in this town could really use it."

Don't try to make me feel guilty. It's too risky.

"What if we disguise ourselves?"

How are we going to do that? He asks.

"We should have kept those wigs."

Don't you think blue hair would stand out a little too much? He smiles.

"Yeah." I look at the ground and then back up at him. "I have an idea but I don't like it very much."

His eyebrows lower. What is it?

"We... go into a house and steal some clothes and hats and stuff and leave money for them," I say quickly.

He shrugs. It might work, but we have to leave plenty of money.

I nod and head toward the nearest house. There's a window at the back and I peer through it, finding the place empty. I nod to Talon and pry it open. We climb in and pass through a tiny kitchen to a bedroom. I open a door to find a small closet. I grab a hat, a worn shirt, and some pants that look like they've never been properly washed and leave the room to find a bathroom. I change quickly and shove my other clothes into my backpack.

I go into the hall to find Talon waiting. I put money in the closet and some in the kitchen to.

I nod and pull the hat low over my face, Talon does the same with his. We exit through the window and I pull Talon back into the trees. He gives me a questioning look.

I grab some dirt from the ground. "They're farmers here, right?" He nods, staring at the dirt, not making the connection. I smile and quickly smear the dirt on his face. He takes a step back blocking my hands with his.

What was that for? he signs angrily.

"We need to look the part."

Fine. Your turn. He smiles menacingly as he picks up a handful of dirt.

It's my turn to take a step back. "You know I think we're actually okay now."

No, no, Clearwater, you're not getting off that easy. He brings the dirt toward me and I turn away. He grabs my arm and spins me back toward him, shoving the dirt on my face.

I cringe and cover my face with my hands. When he doesn't attack again I peak through my fingers. He smirks at me. "Are you done?" I ask.

You started this.

I chuckle. "Okay, well I'm finishing it, too." I say, uncovering my eyes fully.

He laughs and grabs my hand, leading me into town. The people have gathered in the center, right in front of what I assume is the town hall. A large screen has been set up and Tiberius Flickerman addresses the camera.