Nine

I don't sleep much that night, feeling like I'm the one going back into the games with the tributes. I roll over in my bed when the sun rises and take a deep breath. At least one of those kids is going to die very soon and there's nothing I can do to help them anymore.

I get out of the bed, shower, and put on black pants and a simple red and white striped t-shirt. The main room is empty except for the avoxes. I ask one to start breakfast and sit down at the table. Talon is in my line of sight and I see him glance at me once. We'll have to talk later.

Tullis comes out of her room a moment later. "Have you woken them up yet?"

I shake my head. "They've probably just fallen asleep and I want to give them as much rest as possible. We can wake them up when the food is ready."

Tullis nods. "So," she hesitates a minute before changing the subject, "everything is in place for the party today. The decorator loves the ideas you suggested; I sent them to her after we talked last night and she has everything we'll need. She'll be coming over shortly to decorate before everyone else gets here."

"She's not going to show up before they leave right? I don't think the party will sit well with them, even if it does bring sponsors."

"Don't worry. The stylists will get here any moment. We'll eat and the stylists will go with them on the hovercraft and to the arena. I've told the decorator to wait to come up until I call her." As Tullis finishes the elevator dings. "Ah, they're here."

Inala and Atla enter the room and greet us. "Where are they?" Atla asks as they sit at the table.

"I'll go get them." Tullis leaves and comes back a moment later with Fergus and Sybille.

"Good morning!" Inala and Atla chorus. The tributes look sick.

"Try to eat something," I say. The avoxes have brought out the food, but Fergus turns green when he looks at it. He puts a bite in his mouth anyway. "Did you sleep?"

"Hardly," Sybille says.

"Alright well, hurry and eat. Your stylists will take you to the hovercraft when you're done." There's no conversation until everyone's finished.

"We'd better get you two going." Tullis stands and the rest of us follow. We go to the elevator and I motion for Inala to step away from the rest of the group.

"You're coming back for the party right?" I ask.

"Of course. I'll miss the beginning, but I'll be here as soon as I can."

I glance at Sybille. "Take care of her. I think she's given up, but please encourage her to try."

"If you've already spoken with her-"

I hold up a hand. "You have a way with people, Inala."

She nods. "I'll do my best."

We join the others. "Any last advice?" Fergus asks.

"Look out for each other. I know once you get in there you are, technically, enemies, but that doesn't mean you can't help each other." They nod. Fergus shakes my hand and I nod at him. Sybille gives me a small smile and a hug. "Good luck."

I take deep breaths as they say goodbye to Tullis, and then enter the elevator. I keep eye contact until the doors close and then let out my breath.

"I think this is worse than going into the arena myself." Tullis and I stand there a second, then she pats my shoulder and goes to call the decorator.

I go to the couch and collapse onto it, rubbing my eyes. I can't watch them die, how did Rye do this last year? I shouldn't have let myself get so attached; I should have been indifferent with them. I swallow. That's what Dane wants, though. He wants to turn me and everyone else into a shell of a person, with no feelings, no soul, no humanity.