Nineteen

Talon and I stand against a fence watching a hundred cattle graze, mooing occasionally. I stare at the cows a minute longer and then look to Talon. He has a giddy smile on his face. "So, I'm just a bit confused," I start. "How is sitting here, looking at smelly cows fun?"

He looks over at me and smirking. We're not here for the smelly cows, Aldera.

I give him a confused look. "Then why are we here?"

He continues smirking and looks to the barn behind the field. Where there are cows, there are horses.

"What are we going to do with a horse?" I ask, but he's already walking away. "Talon?" He continues walking toward the barn. I stare after him for a moment before deciding that my only option that will satisfy my curiosity is to follow him. I catch up to him and he still has a smile on his face, but he says nothing. We reach the barn. "You realize it's the middle of the day, right?"

Yes. And?

"And people are probably here somewhere."

He shrugs and peaks through the barn doors. Looks clear.

I sigh and follow him into the barn keeping a lookout. If anyone finds us here, there will be trouble, in more ways than one. "Do you know how to ride?" I whisper to Talon.

Yes. My parents were obsessed with horses. Do you? He takes a horse out of a stall and begins saddling it, like a pro.

"It's been a while, but I'm sure I'll pick it up again quickly."

I hope so. He finishes with that horse and saddles another, a mare. These horses sure aren't what I'm used to.

"Well they're not Capitol horses. They're probably overworked, and this might be their one day off."

He looks at them sadly and strokes the mare. We won't ride them too far or too hard. Just a leisurely stroll through the woods.

"Okay." I open the barn doors and look for the farmers, but no one's in sight. We mount the horses and ride slowly out of the area and into the woods. When we've rode for a couple minutes, I let out a sigh.

You okay? Talon signs with one hand, the other loosely holding the reigns.

I nod. "I just feel bad."

I know. He looks down for a moment, then turns back and smiles. I'll race you to the river.

"I thought we weren't going to ride them hard."

The rivers not that far, we passed it on the way here. He smiles again and my heart does something weird in my chest.

I swallow. "Okay." I pause for a moment. "Ready. Set Go!" I take off and I hear his horse right behind me. I reach the river quickly and try to pull up on the reigns but the horse doesn't slow. "It's not stopping," I yell. My eyes widen as we plunge into the water, and I curse myself as I realize that Talon can't yell and tell me what to do.

We make it through the river and I pull back on the reigns again once we're on dry land. The horse stops abruptly. I fall off, luckily on the soft river bank.

"Ouch."

Talon rides up and stops with grace and ease. He hops off his horse. Are you okay? He grabs both the horses' reigns next and ties them to a tree, before kneeling next to wear I lie on the ground.

"I won." I smile up at him.

He laughs. Yes, you did. He sits down. Shall we take a little break?

I sit up slowly and bring my hand to my head. "A break sounds lovely."

Is your head okay?

I nod. "I just have a little headache."

Any other injuries? He looks me over with concern.

"I'm okay."

He meets my eyes. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have suggested a race.

I chuckle. "It's okay. I had fun... until I started freaking out."

He scoffs. Well, good. I'm going to check on the horses. I nod and he gets up. After a minute he comes back. Well, you didn't scare them too bad.

"Good." I wince as I finish the word. A flash of pain runs through my brain.

Talon puts a hand on my arm. Are you sure you're okay? I nod, but close my eyes for a moment. When I open them Talon's face is covered in worry. Here, lay your head down on my lap. Close your eyes for a minute.

I do as he says, finding relief once my eyes are closed. I lay there for a couple minutes and then open them again.

No, keep them closed.

"But how will you communicate with me if I can't see your hands?"

We don't need to communicate right now. You need to rest.

"Fine." I close my eyes again and let my breathing become even, trusting Talon. After a few minutes he starts stroking my back, probably thinking I'm asleep. I focus on his touch and enter an odd state, not really asleep or awake.

When I gain more consciousness, I open my eyes, slightly. Talon doesn't notice at first and he looks down at me smiling, continuing to rub my back. I open my eyes more fully and he meets them with his.

Do you feel better? I nod. Are you ready to take these horses back?

"Yeah."

Sit up slowly.

I smile at his concern and do as he asks. "How long has it been?"

I'm not sure. He looks around. Maybe an hour, maybe longer.

"And you just sat there that whole time?"

I wasn't bored. Trust me, as an avox I had to stare at much less beautiful things for a lot longer time. My heart flutters again and I feel heat in my face. Come on, we need to return these horses. I do think they enjoyed the fresh air.

I look at them and they do seem to look happier somehow. "I think you're right." I carefully mount my horse and rub the animal's neck, a little afraid that it might hate me.

Don't worry, we're going to go really slow, Talon signs atop his horse. He starts going and I join him by his side. He looks over at me and smiles. You're doing great.

"Thanks." We reach the edge of the woods and stop. There's shouting near the barn. A husband and wife arguing. "Uh oh." We dismount.

Let's just send the horses their way and they'll see them. I nod. Talon sends each horse away with a gentle pat. They run off towards the farmers. Talon grabs my hand and we run a ways into the woods, knowing the couple won't come after us. Like everyone else, they are probably afraid of what lies in here.

Hello everyone! Wow, it has been a long time! I'm so sorry! I've been really busy lately, but I'm not as busy now so hopefully I can start updating regularly again. So anyway, what did you think of this chapter? I wanted to have a fun chapter since the story's a bit dreary most of the time, did you like it? If you did I'll try to add in some more in future updates! And if you liked this chapter please give it a vote and leave a comment! Thanks for reading!