The Fugitive

Boy, was she wrong. Soon, running from people in helicopters and on foot became a very regular occurrence. It would happen every few days. It would cause her to fly into a panic at the first sign of change in the area. Even if it wasn't caused by them, which only alienated her further from the other animals. She was terrified. She didn't want to live in a total state of absolute fear and distress anymore. She saw that same man from the first chase time and time again. She didn't know why but for whatever reason, the trigger-happy redneck seemed to be determined to shoot her. Keena knew that guns were deadly. She could only vaguely recall why. It caused her to lose a friend... a dear friend. One of the many factors to her distain and depression. She'd instinctively run away. Always chased by bullets and verbal abuse and threats. She just wanted it to stop. But she didn't know how to make it stop...

Wandering the land, Keena kept her head down and dragged her feet limply. Despite her lethargy, she was ready to run at the first sound of a helicopter or gunshot. When she finally lifted her head, she saw that she was on the top of a hill, overlooking the surrounding area. There was no sign of anyone from here. Sitting on her haunches, she looked up. It was twilight. The darkness of the approaching night blending with the warm glow of the setting sun like running paint. Keena sighed and lowered her head.

Suddenly, she noticed light in the far distance. There were many lights. It must have been a settlement. It was on the other side of a motorway, several miles from where she was. Keena lowered her eyes, thinking. As far as she could tell, despite everything she loathed about them, humans had food. And she had also noticed that the beings never seemed to be active during the nightly hours. She had seen it everywhere she had been in her life. It would seem like the world was barren and silent. Huffing, Keena made her decision. She would go now, so that it would be night when she reaches the city. That way there wouldn't be anyone there to see her, and therefor torment her.

Inhaling heavily, she began her trek. She would stop every few moments to scan her surroundings before, seeing nothing, continuing. The world was quiet and the darkness was beginning to dominate the sky.

It was almost completely dark when Keena came to the tarmac road. She climbed over the crash barrier and stopped. She looked left, then right, then left again before striding across the wide road. Her heart raced as she did, knowing at any second a car or lorry could come screeching down the lane with its blinding lights and monstrously loud engine. She got half way across the road when her fear was confirmed. Seeing a pair of bright yellow eyes racing towards her, Keena screamed and took off into a run, struggling on her bad leg. She got across the road, the lorry barely missing her. She panted and collapsed onto her haunches, trying to calm down from the near-death experience. At this point, she was contemplating that she should stop and give up. But her hunger was too great for her to ignore. She needed something to eat. And nothing was going to prevent her from getting something. Shaking it off, she got up and continued.

When she finally reached the outskirts of the city, it was complete darkness the bright red and orange lights casting onto the city's roads and buildings, basking it in an eerie glow. Keena saw nothing. No humans at all. After one final check, she began to gingerly step through the deserted street.

There was practically no noise whatsoever. Which was a good thing, but it left Keena feeling alert and on edge. One false move could have disastrous results. As she walked, she would turn her head from left to right, taking everything in. The buildings were tall and towering above her threateningly. The lights bored onto her like in an interrogation room. They were everywhere. But the emptiness of the streets was a source of comfort. She continued to walk, glancing around in the hope of seeing something.

After walking for some time, Keena noticed a row of houses, all with gardens guarded by chain link fences. All their lights were off. Keena waited for a few moments, just to be sure before climbing over the fence into one of the gardens. Still, nothing happened. She noticed a metal can next to the front gate. She had seen that people put things in it. Sometimes pieces of food. With a swipe of her arm, she knocked it over and began to rummage, desperately looking for something, anything to eat.