The Newcomer

"Morning, sunshine." A cheery voice caused Keena to stir. She slowly came from her slumber and turned to face the human at the front of her cage. It was the same man Keena had seen before, who she now knew as Abdul, as she had heard others refer to him as such. Keena watched him; she knew he was the provider of food. Sun was shining through the windows and in the distance, Keena could hear... some type of shrieking, but she had no idea from what.

"Hey, Keena." He smiled; she ignored him and made an attempt to grab the bag from his grip.

"Oi!" He pulled it out of her reach. Keena huffed and stared at him.

"Peckish are we?"

No, just her. The man stuck his hand in the bag and fished out a melon half. Keena took it from him and studied the yellow fruit. She took a cautious bite out of it. It was so juicy and sweet and Keena immediately wanted more. Keena polished it off in minutes and licked the juice off of her fingers.

"Did you enjoy that? Well, I have another one." He delivered his promise, which Keena devoured just as fast as the previous one.

A woman with blonde hair came into the door of Keena's room. She bent down and smiled at the chimp.

"How is she?" She asked Abdul.

"Famished." he answered her as Keena chomped on her breakfast.

"Well once she is finished we will get started." the woman said before leaving. Keena couldn't comprehend what she was talking about. Get started on what?

Suddenly, a slide door opened behind Keena. She jumped and looked inside the door. It was a large room with several tall pillars, hoses and platforms at several different heights. She slowly walked in, feeling the soft straw under her knuckles. She stopped and took a moment to take it in. There were several windows, the sun was streaking through, lighting up the room. She ran her fingers down one of the wooden pillars and then grabbed onto one of the hoses. She could not figure out what she was supposed to do. She pulled it and it moved towards her. Keena huffed and started swinging it boredly.

Keena tilted her head as she heard another slide door opening. She turned her head sharply.

Standing behind her, just in front of the entrance was what looked like a human. But it couldn't have been! It had black fur, a round muzzle, large ears and it walked on its knuckles. Its arms were longer than its legs, it looked like... her. Another chimpanzee? It was staring at Keena with wary brown eyes. It took a step towards her, Keena squeaked and ran into a corner, and the thing followed her. She slapped it in the face. The creature grunted and swatted his nose. As it stood back, Keena got a better look at it. His fur was puffed out and he had firm muscles on his arms and chest. He had several scars around his face. And Keena noticed that he was slightly bowed-legged.

"Tough Madame, isn't she?" A voice said suddenly, startling Keena, the humans were watching this! She ran towards them but they were behind the bars and she couldn't escape! The chimpanzee squeaked and sat on his haunches. He showed his teeth and outstretched his hand. What on earth was that? Keena ran past him and drummed the wall. Where was the escape route? There had to be one! Hearing an angry sounding grunt, she saw the male was after her. He was shrieking for some reason. He outstretched his hand again... was she supposed to do something? Keena growled and ran away, he chased her again, smacking her on the back as she ran.

"Arvo!" Abdul's voice suddenly shouted, towards the male chimpanzee. Angry and scared, Keena screamed and charged at him, Arvo yelled and tried to escape but Keena leapt on him and bit his ear. He just shrieked louder, making Keena bite him harder. He tried to escape, but he didn't fight back. Keena threw him to the ground and ran back into her bedroom, which had been opened to let her in.