The Newborn

The passage of twilight into night came smoothly as the clouds that passed through the sky, which was now becoming dark as the sun left the sky, leaving it in a violet and navy light. Ikenna hooted quietly to the members of the community as they clamber up the big open tree and began to construct their nests. He went around to each of the other thirty eight in his family, allowing them to bite his wrist, bidding them good night. Nneka sighed as she covered herself in leaves, hoping for shelter from the possible rainfall about to bestow on them. She groaned as she tried to get comfortable. But after a few hours, she settled into a sweet slumber. The sound of the crickets and nocturnal birds soothing her to sleep like a lullaby.

But Nneka cried as she was suddenly jerked awake by a sudden and sharp stab of pain in her belly. She sat upright with a sharp gasp, holding onto her stomach. The stabbing pain came and went in a rhythm. She sighed sharply as she lied on her side, grabbing onto the leaves of her nest and eating a few of them, hoping that would be enough to distract herself from the pain. Nneka sighed and shut her eyes, trying hard to relax but simply couldn't. Squeezing her eyes shut, she growled under her breath, feeling the pressuring urge to push. Straining, she let out an involuntary wail as pain raced from her lower back up to her shoulders. Once the pain had subsided, Nneka, feeling as though every ounce of strength in her had been forced out, panted as she lied in a semi curled position. The sound of snapping twigs and rustling leaves caught her attention. Opening her eyes, she noticed the darkened figure of another chimpanzee sitting on the branch holding her nest. She initially whimpered, but calmed down as soon as she realised it was her dearest friend, practically her sister, a larger female with a grey beard. She reached over and took Nneka's hand, grooming it gently in a bid to calm the stressed female. Nneka rolled onto her back, gripping her sister's hand tightly as she strained again as the urge to push came again. Her grip on her sister's hand tightened intensely with a pained groan. Feeling her sister holding her hand and gently grooming her arm provided her with some much needed comfort, but it did not ease the pain. Closing her eyes, she tried to relax. She was stressed, but she wasn't frightened. She knew what was happening. And she had her sister to help her through this. All she could do was hope that it would not last very long and would pass quickly...

After a couple of hours, a thin cry rose into the canopy.

Nneka grabbed the tiny, wriggling and screaming lump, flailing its limbs blindly and held it tight in her grip, cleaning the newborn quickly. Her sister remained close by, keeping a watchful eye on the world around them. She wanted nothing to disturb Nneka at this time, not even one of the others within the community. Hooting gently, she watched as Nneka cleaned the newborn before rocking it softly in her arms as it squeaked and chattered, flailing its small arms in the air. Bringing her finger towards it, she allowed it to grab onto it tightly, which appeared to calm it down. Nneka's sister edged closer, her hand on her shoulder as she gazed lovingly at the newborn. The others were still fast asleep in their nests, totally unaware of the birth, but Nneka did not mind. All she wanted was to tend to her infant, who hadn't opened its eyes yet. The sister came closer and Nneka held the infant towards her, allowing the sister to touch its head and giving it gentle kisses on its forehead, encouraging it to open its eyes.

After some time, the baby squeaked and finally opened her eyes. They were a deep crimson, much like Ikenna's. She chattered, looking confused as she took in this new and strange world. Feeling the wind ruffle her damp fur, the sound of her mother and auntie's affectionate coos and the sight of the billions stars that seemed just out of reach of her grip with the moon casting the forest in a silver blanket. As the infant grabbed and put her mother's finger into her toothless mouth, her little feet kicking the air, Nneka laughed and brought the baby closer to her chest, holding her in her soft and warm embrace. Lying on her back, Nneka sighed and stared at the sky, the stars glistening and reflecting in her brown eyes and listened to the symphony of frogs, insects and birds which filled the world in a song. Her sister settled down next to her, her hand still on the infant's head, admiring her sweetly.