The Attraction

Keena rocked back and forth, whimpering as the roar of the plane rang into her ears. It was pitch black with no source of light or comfort. The box was wooden with not much more than a thin layer of straw beneath her, which provided little reassurance.This felt strangely familiar. Being in a small dark area and alone. She did not know if it was day or night, or how long she had been inside that box. All she could do was shut her eyes and think about the McFarlanes. Why weren't they here? Would she see them again? Sighing, she'd lie down and try to imagine that she was still with them in their warm caravan with the oil lamp dimly lit and the sound of the horses grazing outside.

After a gruelling two days of flying she was finally on land, but it felt like an eternity. Once she was out of the plane and the crate, Mario had clipped a lead onto her and led her away. Looking around, Keena realised that she was in a place completely different to her previous home. It was roasting hot and the sun was vivid and harsh. Where was the cold air and the grey clouds?

Keena did not have a chance to think much about this, as she was soon hit with another bout of confusion, this time concerning her new master's method of travel. Unlike before, when she'd ride out in the open alongside George, this strange contraption of metal was enclosed, with no horse to pull it. How did it move?

She was placed in the second seat next to him and had a strange nylon strap placed across her body. It restricted her movement greatly but, remembering before, she does not try to get away. Then Mario sat next to her and held this round wheel that was inside for some reason. Keena reached forward to try and touch some of the dials that were on the front, only to have her hand harshly slapped away. She squeaked and grimaced as she looked around the interior of the vehicle, still trying to figure out exactly what it was.

The machine growled as it suddenly began to move in a way that Keena could not understand. Not only did it not have a horse to pull it but it also made a horrendous noise unlike the quiet creaking of the caravan's wheels or the clopping of Ivory's hooves on the road. All she could do was sit there and bear it, there was no way for her to escape it.
After a while, the machine finally stopped and Keena was taken out. She doesn't struggle against the rope tied around her neck and allowed the man to lead her into a shed of some kind. It looked bare and partly empty. Well, it would have looked empty if she hadn't seen something move behind the greasy window.

"Patch!" Mario suddenly called, opening the shed door partially. Keena blinked and struggled a little. A loud and annoyed bark was the answer, giving Keena a fright. What was that?
"Oh come on, son is that anyway to greet your new girlfriend?" the man laughed, turning on the light inside. There was an irritated grunt from the far corner of the shed, a grunt from something that just wanted to be left alone and undisturbed, uninterested in what the man had to say.

Keena looked around. Inside, it seemed to be quite bare. With the exception of a tire hanging from the ceiling and a few clumsily placed logs. There was an old couch in the corner that looked like it had been there for at least a century. Suddenly, the chimp's red eyes directed onto a figure lying -in a very human like manner- on the couch.
It was another chimpanzee. Keena stared at it in awe. What was it doing here?
"Well, I'll leave you two to get acquainted." The man grunted before promptly slamming and locking the door. Keena grinned fearfully and looked back towards the chimp on the sofa.

The young male was watching her with the same level of intensity. He looked just as confused as her. He was wearing a pair of denim shorts and yellow t-shirt. On his feet were a pair of flip-flops, which were placed awkwardly -and possibly painfully- on the soles of his feet, too long for them. He grunted as he stood up to get a better look. As he comes closer, Keena notices some more of his features. His chin was sprinkled white with a small beard and his eyes were a piercing gold. A patch of gray fur on his arm.

Wait... she had seen him before! She could not recall where or when but she had seen him before! She takes a few steps forward, chattering quietly in an attempt to remind him of their meeting from all those years ago. He did look a little different from last time. He was larger and his muscles on his arms were clearer. His head was bigger and there was more hair on his chin from before. He looked... quite handsome actually.

Suddenly Patch's expression changed. He opened his mouth and grabbed Keena by the arm, panting excitedly. Keena darted her eyes anxiously, rather unsure of what he wanted, she pulled against his grip, causing him to stop pulling. His laughing faltered as he watched her closely. He let out a small sigh and sat back down on the sofa, his legs crossed and looking very put out. He started to pick at his fur absentmindedly, trying to distract himself from his boredom. Feeling rather bad, Keena sat next to him, copying his posture. Neither of them moved, Keena took this time to evaluate the male. He was pretty big, but he did look a bit thin, especially on his arms. His canines were missing and he seemed rather lethargic. Patch grunted and wandered to the tire-swing, pushing it lazily. It creaked as he pushed it. It was so loud that it wouldn't be surprising if it fell from its chain. Keena watched it swing, and when it faltered, Patch would push it again.

This went on for hours, until the outside of the shed became dark and the sounds of night fauna became audible. There didn't seem to be a particular sleeping area but Patch had curled up on the sofa, grunting as he tried to get himself comfortable. Keena glanced around the area before lying on her back on one of the logs, staring at the barren and rotting ceiling. Why was she sent here? Where was George and Shay? Surely they had to be here somewhere and take her home. Right? Closing her eyes, Keena could only try and escape into her memories...