Beginnings and Revelations

“Aleka! What the hell do you think you were doing?! You could have been killed!” Darien stormed up the stairs with Kaleb and Lilia close behind him. His eyes were dark with rage.

“But I wasn’t.” Aleka was feeling sleepier than ever now and was not in the mood to argue with her big brother over her impulsive decision to fight Sullivan.

“What the hell was I thinking? You are by no means ready to deal with any of this.” Darien began to pace the corridor, running his hand through his dirty blonde hair like he always did when he was nervous.

“If she goes back to Bristol, then she’s as good as dead.” Tristan was leaning back against a stone wall, his head back and eyes closed.

“Well, at the rate she’s going, she’s going to end up dead just as quickly here!” The vampire opened one eye lazily to look at the pacing mortal.

“You saw her Darien. She’s got a raw talent when it comes to the battle. In the space of eight hours she has killed one of Sullivan’s servants and injured Sullivan. Her aim was almost better than Tristan’s and she’s not even been trained yet! Imagine what she’ll be like after training.” Lilia stepped in Darien’s path, blocking his pacing and forcing him to listen.

“But she’s careless.”

“And maybe that’s what we need. Someone who doesn’t make sure that every battle plan has its ‘is’ dotted and the ‘ts’ crossed and has everything accounted for, right down to the very last arrow.” Lilia pointed out.

Darien stared down at the small witch and eventually his shoulders sagged; a sign he was giving up and surrendering the argument. “Fine. Kaleb start training with Aleka in the morning, but make sure she knows all the stories and tales before you do. I have a busy day ahead of me and don’t have the time to deal with this.”

“Don’t have the time to deal with your own sister? Charming.” Aleka folded her arms like a stubborn child who wasn’t getting her way. Darien threw her a look and everyone could see how reluctant he was to let his baby sister do this; to let her risk her life for the undead. He stared hard at Tristan for a few moments who finally nodded once. Then, the older brother gave in and made his way up the stairs and down the hallway into the dark and vanished from their sight.

Aleka wanted to question the secret look and nod her brother had shared with the older vampire but before she could Lilia had put a warm arm around the slender shoulders of the teenager and was leading her back up the stairs to the room that Aleka was to call her own from now on.

“Come on Aleka. You could do with some rest. By the time that adrenaline rush of yours has faded completely, you’ll be exhausted...and that’s not good.” Lilia clicked her fingers, lighting the slim candles that decorated the room.

Aleka was starting to feel fatigued now and her body ached once more as she climbed onto the soft bed and leaned back, looking at the witch as she closed the curtains using telekinesis.

“Are you sure about this? About me being a warrior?” Aleka asked, drawing her knees up to her chest.

“Aleka, I can think of no other possibility for you now. Not only are you amazingly confident when around vampires and other creatures, but your skills are far more advanced that we could have expected from you, or any other member of this bloodline.” Lilia explained, sitting down on the edge of the silk covered bed. “Now, get some sleep. You’re going to have a long day tomorrow with Kaleb.”

Aleka had more questions to ask the witch, but suddenly, and somewhat magically, she felt her eyes close and her head fall back against the cool, soft pillow as the covers rose over her sleeping form and tucked around her, leaving her to succumb to dreams.

“Night, Warrior....”