Chapter 1

The Wolves Descend

(Scarred to Deep)

By GirlBookworm©

*Unedited*

It had been days since Ella had gotten a good night's rest. She chopped the beans, carrots and potatoes for lunch. This was the only time of the day when she could do something other than pack related business. She transferred the vegetables into a baking tray and slid them into the oven. She then started preparing the chicken for the main course.

Ella Caldwell was the daughter of Elise and Xavier Caldwell, Alpha and Luna of the small but very powerful and prestigious Crescent pack. Sadly, Xavier had passed away when Ella was fifteen, leaving Elise in charge of the pack. The Caldwell's lost Xavier at war when the Alpha of the Blood Hound pack ripped his throat out. The Alpha hadn't fought fairly- He took Xavier out from behind when he was protecting others in his pack.

Elise Caldwell led the pack with as much grace and dignity as her husband. She was a powerful and just Luna. She did all that and took care of her two children, Ella and Xander. She gave them everything they could have wanted and never let them feel unloved. Crescent pack was one of the only packs in the world with a female as their first leader. But for Xavier and Elise, it was very important that the women in their pack be treated equally. So, the Crescent pack could boast of an army comprising of both men and women warriors. Women were given an option to train and fight, just as men were also expected to help out with cooking and the children of the pack.

You see, it was tradition for the pack to pass on to the first born son of the Alpha in case he retired or passed away but when Elise saw her eighteen year old boy, straight out of high school, she couldn't bear to thrust such a huge responsibility at him. So instead, she took over till Xander was ready to lead the pack.

The war had escalated after Xavier's death. It began when certain Alphas who were more aggressive started killing off entire packs in order to take over their territory. They had become so brutal and ferocious that someone had to intervene. So the battle between the packs started when Ella turned fourteen and was still going on, when she had completed her eighteenth year. This was also her mother's last year as Luna. With Xander twenty five years of age, he was ready to take over and Elise was more than happy to hand over the pack to her son and guide him along the way. Till then, Ella would be his second in command, till she found her mate and became the Luna of his pack. In that case, Xander's mate would replace her and his beta would be alongside her.

Before Elise handed the pack to her son, a call rang out from her ally, Alpha Simon. Alpha Simon was a very close friend of the Caldwell's and the children even called him 'Uncle Simon'. So, when he called, Elise was obliged to help him. Numerous arguments erupted between her and her children. Xander and Ella were insistent on going instead of her but she just couldn't let her children go to war in her place. So after days of fighting, Elise was finally able to convince her children to let her go. She told Xander to take care of the people that were staying- a mere number of five women, a few children and three men. Everyone else was going to war faithfully by their Luna's side who never gave up on them, no matter how tough the times. They would gladly sacrifice their lives for her. Elise said her goodbyes to her children and went away. She promised them she would be back soon but it had already been a torturous three months for her children having received no news about their mother.

Xander was constantly in the study, trying to contact other Alphas to go help their pack. Ella stood by her brother all this time and helped him in whatever way she could. With every passing day, they got more and more afraid. If not for Ella, Xander would have lost it by now but his sister kept him calm and healthy.