Chapter 8- Antonio

Chapter 8- Antonio's POV

It was late afternoon when I picked Lovino up from his house. He was happier than I had ever seen him before; his eyes were bright and his lips formed the most beautiful smile I had ever seen. Happiness suited him well and I would've given anything to see it stay that way.

I smiled back at him and he climbed into my car.
"Hey." He said, leaning across and pecking a soft kiss on my cheek.
"Hey babe." I replied.
"'Babe?' Seriously?"
"I thought I'd try it out." I smiled.
Lovino laughed.
"Well it didn't fucking work."
"Crap." I said, banging my fist on the steering wheel, accidentally making the horn honk. He laughed again. I didn't care what it was but anything that made Lovino laugh was a good thing in my mind, it was something bringing a little light into the world.

"Fucking hell, it's 40 degrees outside." Lovino cursed, lowering the soft top roof of the car.
"God I love open cars." He said.
"Open cars? They're called soft tops, Lovi." I smiled.
"Well they're called open cars now. Deal with it, bitch."

He plugged his seat belt in and looked across at me.
"You okay?" He asked. I was touched by the genuine concern he seemed to show. I'd never seen him worry about anyone else before.
"Yeah, I'm fine." I cleared my throat and turned on the stereo.

'If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air
Quaint little villages here and there'

"NO." Lovino said, turning it off.
"No Patti Page in my open car."
I turned it back on.
"You mean my open car."
"It's mine now, I've decided." He said, turning it back off.
His smug little grin made me laugh.
"But it's Old Cape Cod. I'll do many things for you Lovi, but turning off Patti Page isn't one of them."
I turned it back on.

He was smiling- I loved it when he smiled.
"What?" I asked.
"Nothing." He smiled.
"What??"
"How did I fall in love with a guy with such a bad taste in music."
"Fell in love? You've never said you loved me before. I like it."
Lovino fell silent. I didn't think he knew what to say.
"Shut up, bastard."

"Hey I have that wine we made." I said, holding up a bottle of white wine.
"The one we made... in your garage." said Lovino.
"In my garage." I confirmed.
"Isn't that illegal or something?"
"Probably not." I shrugged.
"It seems pretty illegal to me. And this isn't the wine we made." He said, peering at it.
"How can you be sure? Maybe it fermented extra fast."
Lovino turned the label on the bottle to face me.
"Because it's Pinot Grigio." He smiled which made me smile with him.
"Ah yes I took the liberty of putting it in a Pinot Grigio bottle because it's you're favourite." I smirked. He knew I was lying but it was fun to continue this façade.
"I hate Pinot Grigio you idiot. And to fill a wine bottle it has to be empty first so did you pour it out and waste it all like an idiot or did you drink it?" He smiled.
"Oh, Lovino, it's wonderful that you have that much faith in me. I am truly flattered." I batted my eyelashes at him.
"You're either stupid, drunk or lying." He popped the cork on the bottle and it flew out the top of the car and onto the road.
"Lovino!" I laughed. He leant his elbow on my shoulder and took a swig straight from the bottle.
"LOVINO!" I cried again in mock horror.
He pulled a face.
"That's definately Pinot." He wheezed, coughing between words.

I turned up the music and sang along with it. Lovino rested his head on my shoulder.
"So where are we going?" He asked.
"We're in coastal South Italy and it's a glorious summer day. Where do you think we're going?"
Lovino bit his bottom lip.
"The beach?" He said, a flicker of hope glinting in his eye.
"The beach!"
He laughed and planted a soft kiss on the corner of my mouth. I wanted to kiss him back so badly but damn it I was driving!
"A specific place on the beach. These lyrics just reminded me of it so why not?"
"What lyrics?" Asked Lovino.
I turned up the music and rewound it back.