Chapter Nine

^^^For the really cool cover on the side. Thank you very much!

     I found it hard to control my breathing. Finally, I was able to croak out some words, “Your uncle is Alexander Grey?”

     “Yes. Marcilla, are you alright?” I could hear the concern in his voice. Or was that just a façade?

     I mentally slapped myself for being so stupid. How could I not have seen it? Ok, don’t get ahead of yourself now, I told myself. I turned my attention to the man on the other end of the line after taking a deep breath. “I’m fine. I saw an article on him and I was just curious.” Article? Really? That’s the best you could come up with.

     Derek didn’t seem to notice how stupid my excuse sounded. “Ok, babe, so you’ll be here tomorrow?”

     “Yeah, I’ll let you know when I get in. It might be later, so I might just end up meeting you at the club. I need to get going. I’ll see you later on.”

     Elizabeth’s house was just ahead, and I pulled in smoothly. Walking through the door was easy enough, and I immediately crashed in the guest room I had deemed as my own years ago.

     I pulled into Astoria with a smile on my face. We were going to live a lot closer to Long Island. I thought about the address Lizzy had given me. I had punched it into my GPS and let that navigate my way. I kept my eyes open though, taking the sights in around me. There were quite a few people that looked to be of Middle Eastern heritage. I wondered how we would blend into this area.

     The place she was staying at was apparently the house of someone she had met at the club. She’d scanned a few people’s feelings and vibes, trying to see where they lived. Using her power, she had persuaded a poor, unsuspecting victim to let us stay with them. It was a foolproof plan.

     I shook my head stifling a laugh when I spotted Lizzy on the steps of a really nice looking house. She would be the one to go big or go home. When I had parked and walked up to her, her eyes sparkled with mischief. I knew that look all too well. “What did you do, Elizabeth?”

     “Nothing bad,” she replied, feigning innocence.

     I knew better than to believe her. “Did you bite him?”

     Her eyes told me I’d caught her. Throwing her hands up, she gave me an exasperated look. “He smelled too good to pass up. You should try him.” She licked her lips seductively.

     “Only you would think of something like that, Lizzy. And you know I don’t like sharing my meals. I’m a very selfish person.”

     She rolled her eyes. “Of course I know! You wouldn’t even let me look at James after you’d bit him.” She paused, feeling the need to change the subject. I had no desire to continue it anyway. “Anyway, Mike is pretty cool. Really relaxed which is why he was an easy pick up. Come on inside so you can meet him. I figured that once we got a new apartment, we could get the majority of our stuff; but I brought some of your clothes so you would have something to work with. If it doesn’t work then we can go back to the apartment to get your things.”

     She was leading me to my room. Why a single man would have a three bedroom house I wasn’t sure. Mike was in the kitchen and just smiled over to Liz and waved at me. It looked like he was making himself a sandwich. “You always did have a way with the gentlemen,” I teased.

     She just shook her head at my comment and opened the third door, revealing a nicely decorated room. I could tell that this would definitely not be the work of a man. He must have had someone come it here to do all this. I had to snort with laughter when I spotted the bathroom. It was almost entirely sea blue with shells and a cute with fish on it. There was no way in hell he had decorated this. I made a mental note to ask him that question later.