Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

     I looked at my father with disgust. I believe his expression may have been even more threatening. The human standing next to my father looked like she would rather be thousands of miles away at that moment.

     “How dare you talk to her like that!” He instantly yelled.

     The woman put her hand on his arm and gave it a squeeze. He looked at her and quickly changed his raging expression. “Lucian, let me talk to her.”

     I sneered at her. “I wouldn’t do that, darling.” It was obvious by my tone that I really didn’t mean anything nice by calling her darling. “I’m practically starving and you smell very tasty.”

     Fear was written all over her face. My dad jumped before her and pushed her back. I scoweled at them and headed for the kitchen. I found Laura in there holding out a bag of blood toward me. I pointed my finger at her in accusation.

     “You knew!” I screamed at her. “How could you do that to me?”

     She didn’t pretend to be clueless about what I was talking about. She even had the decency to hang her head. After a moment of silence, she lifted her head and squared her jaw. “I didn’t tell you because it wasn’t relevant.”

     I snatched the blood bag and put it into a cup with some juice. I like mixing my blood bags because it takes away most of the old taste in the blood. It’s best when it’s fresh. My eyes went to Laura as I drank. Maybe I had imagined the remorse in her face earlier. Perhaps I only wanted to see it. I didn’t feel like arguing with her about it right then. “I’ll be in my room.”

     A soon as I shut my bedroom door, I tried to relax. I pressed a few buttons on my phone and listened to it ringing.

     “Hello,” Derek said into the other line.

      “Dietrick, I need to see you.” He muttered something unintelligible. That’s when I realized that I must have woken him up. “Did I wake you up?”

     He cleared his throat and fumbled with the phone before answering. “Yeah.”

     “Derek, I need you to come get me.”

     There was more shuffling. “It’s not safe here.”

     I wanted to tell him that James was here, but I wasn’t entirely sure myself. “Then take me somewhere safe.”

     He sighed and I could tell he was getting frustrated with me. “Give me ten minutes.”

     The wait was excruciating, but he finally showed up wearing something comfortable and carrying a bag. He told me to pack two outfits and any essentials I might need. “You can’t tell a girl to pack two outfits without letting her know what kind of outfits.”

     He rolled his eyes, but smiled nonetheless. “One casual and one dressy.”

     I nodded my head and proceeded to go through my closet. I got out jeans and a t-shirt I had bought on my day out with Liz. A spaghetti strap red dress which reached mid-thigh was what I picked as my dressy outfit. I completed the selection with a pair of black open-toe heels.

     He held my hand and the tingling started. I closed my eyes so I wouldn’t get dizzy or sick. When a really warm breeze hit my face, I opened my eyes. I was awestruck by the sight before me. We were standing on the edge of a crystal blue ocean. The water was so clear that you could see the white sand below. It was absolutely beautiful. The sun had just made its way over the horizon in a glorious display of pinks and blues.