Chapter Two

I shrank back and his expression told me that my reaction had hurt him. He pulled his hand away from my shoulder and looked out the window. I would have given eternity to know his thoughts at that moment. James was standing right there in front of me and all I could do is gawk at him. His windblown thick brown hair made me want to stroke it. Stroke it? I chided myself. What is wrong with you?

     I let my gaze drift down to his beautiful, large steel blue eyes and dark eyelashes that girls would pay a fortune for. His prominent nose then held my attention; and how sharp his features where even under the scrutiny of my perfect eyesight. I was mesmerized by his Greek god-like chiseled chest and shoulders when he cleared his throat. I averted my eyes and finally spoke up.

     “You shouldn’t have come here.” What can I say? It was the first thing that came to mind.

     “I wanted to see you before you left.” He sounded resigned; as if he were done fighting.

     It brought tears to my eyes. I pushed them down in my mind and took a deep breath. Bad idea! I hadn’t eaten in almost a week. I threw myself out of bed on the opposite side to him. I needed to put space between us and fast. Just one more bite.

     I could still see the scar at his collar bone from before. It terrified me. I couldn’t do that again. I could hear his heart rate go up. I could almost feel his warm blood trickling down my throat. I shook my head. I needed to clear the air. In a flash I was over by the window. Since my brother had told him the truth about us, I figured it wouldn’t really matter anyway. Plus his life might have been at stake. I threw open the doors to the window and took a deep breath of fresh air.

     “I smell that bad?” I turned to see his usual scandalous grin.

     “No, you smell too good. I haven’t eaten in a while.” He had been my last meal. And I craved him like I hadn’t any other human being. This was driving me crazy. Of course he didn’t remember that I had drunk his blood. That was just a part of the whole vampire thing. Plus I had been a soft quiet cat when I did it and he was fast asleep. Why did it have to be him that I wanted? Why couldn’t it just be another vampire? This was my real motive for leaving to New York City. I needed to get away from him and fast. I couldn’t do this to him anymore.

     It was after a few moments that he finally spoke, “If you want you can have me.”

     I shook my head almost immediately; because I couldn’t trust myself to speak a reply. He breathed a sigh. “You shouldn’t have come here,” I repeated.

     “I needed to see you,” he replied, taking a step in my direction.

     I couldn’t take my eyes off of him. Why had no other man had this kind of an influence on me? He was walking towards me and I had nowhere to go. I wasn’t about to jump out the window.

     “You need to step back.” I tried to keep my tone even but it was pointless. My sentence came out as more of a whimper than anything.

     He got closer to me. His heartbeat became louder in my ears. Next thing I knew, he had his sinewy arms around my waist. I could have died of a cardiac arrest right there. But I couldn’t and I needed to get a grip of myself.

     His breath was like lace against my face and his words only stoked the fire burning within my gut. I seriously needed to get out of there. My brain was working in overdrive when I felt his lips crash against mine. I felt like the wind was getting knocked out of me. Don’t you dare kiss him back! I screamed in my head. Of course, my body never follows what I tell it. But when I did kiss him back I could feel an emotion vibrating off his skin, beating with his pulse.