Chapter Five

We were being seated when I received a signal from Laura. I gave her our location and let them all know she was on her way. I don’t know how; but I had a feeling that whatever had happened in our apartment was tied to Laura. Maybe it was someone that she had met at the club. Well, whatever it was, I was certain that I had way too many loose ends at the moment.

     “So what have you been doing in New York City,” James asked me after we were seated. I glanced over at him only to realize that we were sitting right next to each other.

“It’s actually been very enjoyable. I don’t do much; but there is definitely much to entertain.” I glued my eyes to my glass of water.

“Can you tell me about… well, about your kind?”

I laughed lightly. “What would you like to know? We live very boring lives.”

“I know the basics, I just wonder about the other things. I know you have speed, extensive hearing, and perfect vision. Miguel mentioned something about special abilities. Do you have one?”

“Yes. I have the gift of insight. I can see the past or someone’s history if I focus my mind hard enough on something. I could focus on this table, and tell you the conversation of the people sitting here a week ago. I could tell you what they looked like, and what they were wearing.”

“That’s amazing!” He was very enthusiastic about it.

I couldn’t help the smile that spread across my face. “I think other people have more interesting abilities than mine. Take Laura, for instance. She can demobilize someone. All she has to do is think it, and the person is stuck in a paralysis. She uses it to stabilize situations. Look at Elizabeth too. She can interfere in the human mind. If you don’t pick from your menu fast enough she might just make up your mind for you. If she wants you to do something, she’ll make you do it; but she can’t use her ability on our ‘kind’ because it doesn’t work.”

“Wow, you guys are so interesting.”

“It’s how we were born. I guess I never saw it as interesting.”

“How old are you anyway,” James questioned further.

“I am a normal girl and I prefer not to tell you my age,” I replied with a smirk. When he looked disappointed, I added, “If someone were to ask me normally, I would tell them that that I am twenty-two.” This didn’t seem to appease his interest; but he left it alone for now.

He moved on to a different question. “So, I’ve met your mother; but where is your father?”

Just then, Laura showed up and said to James, “Good to see you, James. Could you please move over? I would like to sit next to my sister.” He looked at me longingly; but smiled and moved over.

“God, He is so obsessed,” Laura said into my head. I just smiled. I knew she was just looking out for me in her own way. She then spoke aloud. “I’m sorry about last night. I’ll tell you about it later.”

“I’m here whenever you’re ready to tell me. You know I love you.”

She smiled and said, “I love you too.” She then turned to Miguel. “Hello dearest brother. When did you get here?”

“Earlier today when Marcilla called me, saying that your apartment was trashed and you guys were nowhere to be found.”

Her face paled considerably. “Our apartment was trashed?”

“Yeah,” Elizabeth replied, “but Miguel got some guys to clean it up.”

I suddenly remembered what had happened earlier and that I needed to tell them about how my power had been blocked. I relayed the entire situation, including everything I had heard.