Chapter Six: Found

~FIVE YEARS LATER~

"This is lame!"

"Aiden, behave. It's just for today," Drake reprimanded as he laid out a cloth on the picnic table. "It's your mother's birthday."

Emma giggled as her only son huffed and kicked up some dirt. Being thirteen years old, she didn't think he would be too happy with the idea of a day away from all those electronics he had come to depend on, but her daughter on the other hand...

Aira smiled as she gawked, wide-eyed, at the forests around them. Emma had been a bit hesitant to come to a wildlife sanctuary for a picnic with Aira, given the trauma she had sustained six years ago, but it seemed she was still ignorant of the death of her family, a death that had happened in a park quite like the one they were picnicking in. Drake and Susan, Aira's therapist, had both told Emma that keeping Aira away from anything that could possibly jog her memory wasn't the way to go. She would come to remember, eventually. Sheltering her would only cause more harm than good.

Aira laughed and ran to her mother, her eyes lighting up with wonder. She grabbed Emma's hand and shook it, pointing towards deer and other animals that were barely hidden by the brush of trees. Emma felt like she had been holding her breath for the majority of the car ride and finally, let it out once she saw that Aira was still herself. There was nothing to fear.

"Do you like it here?" Drake asked softly as he wondered over to his wife and adopted daughter. The smile and rapid nodding seemed to give him the answer he was hoping for.

Aiden let out a huff of air as he ran over and grabbed Aira's hand, leading her into the neck of trees. Aira obediently followed, sticking closer to the older boy as he said, "If you like it so much, let's have a closer look, you dummy."

Emma laughed and shook her head. Aiden was protective of Aira, and if something made her light up, you'd bet your life Aiden would get it just to see her happy.

"Look after her, Aiden. It smells like rain soon!" Drake called out as he watched the two walk off. All he got was a short wave from his son. "I worry that he's a little too much like my brother sometimes..."

All Emma could do was nod. "I wonder the same thing sometimes, but then, I remember Aiden knows how to show his emotions, unlike Van."

Drake chuckled and wrapped his arm around his wife's shoulder, nuzzling his chin into her hair. Emma giggled before a car coming into the park's car park caught her attention. The flashy black four-wheel drive could have made anyone stop and stare, but she and Drake knew the owner all too well.

"Speak of the devil, and he shall appear, as they say..." Drake mumbled, his chin still resting atop his wife's golden curls.

Emma gently nudged her husband with her elbow, trying not to let a laugh escape. "I can't believe he actually came." Just as Van slammed his car door shut, Emma whispered, "He doesn't look all too happy about it."

Van only nodded his greeting as he glanced at his beta and the human mate by his side. In all honesty, he could have been doing paperwork back at his office. There was the problem of investors backing out of their deals, but after being nagged to no end by Drake, Van was beckoned to the occasion. It would have at least been tolerable if not for a certain someone who had been prancing about his office the whole morning.

"Happy birthday, Emma!" Jillian yelled, a big bright smile spreading across her flush face. As she waved, she held up a colorful bag, no doubt with a gift inside. Jillian Wright never came to a special occasion empty handed after all.

Emma smiled back and shook her head before sauntering towards the two shifters. "Jillian, you really didn't have to get me anything but thank you," she gushed as she took the bag Jillian handed her.