Chapter Twenty: Welcome, Akim

He heard her whimper under him and could smell the saltiness of her never-ending tears. The girl was scared; he was fully aware of that fact. He was barely holding himself up and knew that he couldn't do this for much longer. Konstantin wasn't begging to be set free; his wolf knew that if he shifted he would crush her. Between him and the rubble he protected her from, Van wasn't sure how he was going to get them out of this.

For the first time in his life, he was powerless. This was all he could do to keep her safe.

He grunted as the weight on his back started to send a searing pain through his entire body. His arms were tingling and threatened to go completely numb. He couldn't even move his head without little bits of brick and chipped rock falling onto the girl.

His breathing became heavier. He wasn't sure how long he could keep this up until he felt a timid, soft hand touch his cheek. Looking down through the darkness, he could see her so clearly as she smiled up at him, giving him the motivation to keep going even if just for a little longer.

He knew the silent question she wanted to ask. "I'm fine," he growled. His voice was deeper, huskier, fooling no one that he was indeed struggling.

"Van," she whispered as she stroked his cheek with feather-like touches. "It's getting harder... to breathe..."

He hadn't noticed it, but the air was indeed getting denser. He could keep going like this until there was no oxygen left and stay conscious, but she would soon pass out, and that was where things would become dangerous.

He couldn't help but snap at her. "Don't you dare fall asleep, Aira."

Van was forced to stare down as her eyes brightened. "That's... the first time you... said my name." She tried to giggle but ended up coughing.

No, no, no. "It's hard. I know it's damn hard but stay awake," he commanded. He would not be protecting a dead body. He would not let her die in a place like this.

His throat made a low guttural sound as he asked, "What's the capital of Singapore?"

Her face, pale and sleepy, was laced with confusion as she answered hesitantly, "Singapore City?"

He grunted. "Your turn."

Finally, understanding washed over her. In their letters, they would ask quiz questions back and forth. It had stopped some time ago, but Aira had enjoyed it. She had even missed it.

"If a doctor gives you 3 pills... and tells you to take one pill every half hour, how long would it be before all the pills had been taken?" she asked. She tried not to gasp in-between sentences as best she could.

His answer was instant. "One hour. If you take a pill at one o'clock, then another at one-thirty, and the last at two o'clock, they will be taken in one hour."

She smiled up at him. "Your turn..."

It went on like this for some time back and forth until eventually, Aira had stopped responding, simply giving him a gentle sigh whenever he would ask a question.

He could hear her wheezing as she said, "I... know about my real... family..."

Van stiffened as she said this but gave no reply. He simply kept silent, carefully watching her as he had been for the time they'd been buried.

"I forgot... I sat in that cave... for two days... waiting for them to wake up... but they never... woke up..." Her voice cracked as she said this, and a tear slipped down her cheek. It was amazing after all that crying earlier that she still had some tears left.