Blood for Blood

Subject Nyx pulled against the binds that clasped around her wrists.

She had been here for hours and they were already rubbing her flesh raw. Feeling the stinging pain, she adjusted it enough to glimpse the bloody flesh beneath, it looked terrible. Angrily she tugged harder, jabbing pains now rubbing against her wrist bones. Damn Lados.

Strands of hair fell in front of her eyes, sweat beaded and glistened across her brow as she struggled fiercely to pull herself free. While she wrestled with her shackles, a pained groan sounded beside her.

About two feet from her, the young scientist laid suffering. His arms were splayed across the metal flooring and his chest was heaving from the pain. The faint light above also reflected against the bloody knife wound he had received from her. It didn't surprise her that it remained open and bleeding, he had been tossing about for awhile, tearing open the wound before it could fully heal.

He twitched in pain, his eyes remaining closed tightly. She didn't think Lados expected him to survive so long, but inside Subject Nyx was happy he was surviving so long. As she sat there a moment longer, observing his every move, the burning agony across her wrists turned her attention back to the binds.

Growing irritated, Subject Nyx slammed her shackles repeatedly against the ground, hoping they would shatter on impact. Such foolish wishes.

Getting to her feet, her legs feeling rubbery, she tried to go towards the door, but only to be stopped by the three foot chain that was latched in between her wrists. She tugged again, stomping on the lock that held her in place.

Frustration and desperation filled her as she yanked even harder, straining every muscle in her arms. Gritting her teeth. she pulled harder and harder before she felt a sudden tug. At first she was thrilled believing it to be the broken chain, but only found searing pain in her left shoulder. Chilling realization crossed over her as she became aware that her arm had been ripped from its socket.

Collapsing to her knees, she held back tears from the pain. She had to put it back in. Immediately. Reluctant and gasping, Subject Nyx forced her hand to clasp the elbow of the suffering arm. She closed her eyes breathing heavily.

One. She forced slight pressure against it only to feel a rush of pain. Shaking she gripped her elbow tighter. Two. Taking her arm in a better grip she muttered aloud. ''Three.'' With a loud cry of pain she jammed her arm back into socket.

Tears began to stream down her cheeks as she controlled herself from screaming. Biting her lip,  her arm now feeling sore, she collapsed onto her back next to The Scientist.

He was now quiet, his dark hair matted against his forehead which was slick with sweat. In silence she observed his shadowed form, distracting herself from her throbbing shoulder. His chest rose and shakily fell allowing a shuddering breath to escape between his lips.

 With a grunt, she sat up and looked at the other side of his body. The black veins under his skin rippled as if they were alive on their own. She stared wide-eyed as the tendrils moved with a serpentine quality. Gingerly she reached forward, her hand shaking slightly as her finger tips brushed the veins and rested against them.

As she felt the odd movement of his inhuman veins, his eyes suddenly flew open and his hand shot forward, seizing her shackled wrist tightly.

''Hey wait!'' She blurted frantically, trying to pry his hand off her raw wrist. His grip caused the shackles to rub harder against the bloody wounds, bringing her a great deal of pain. He only held on tighter until eventually Subject Nyx had to plant a fist to the side of his face to make him let go.