Lados' Rise

• Dedicated to Lados herself (photo located below)

Lados watched her Scientist through the cameras.

He was growing weak, she could see it. Everytime he faced his Subject, his stony barriers were shattering. The girl was breaking him, but why?

Lados clicked angrily in her alien language as she watched Volleko storm down the hall towards the lab. His face was twisted in a snarl as he threw open the lab door and slammed it. This emotional state he was showing will cause betrayal towards her and this she did not approve.

A wicked grin then stretched over her thin face. It was a good thing the girl would be dead by the end of these trials. Every last drop of the Subject's blood would be drained to the super soldiers Lados herself was creating.

She had devised this plan ages ago. Her plan was to take one specific Subject and put them through a series of tests requiring wit and strength, over these trials every wound it received allowed enhancement cells to invade the Subject's body. Then the enhanced human blood would be transferred to the soldiers so they could survive on Earth's habitat. The plan was brilliant.

Grinning, Lados watched Subject Nyx in the camera. She was sitting against the wall, possibly crying. Pathetic humans, always exposing such weak traits. Lados switched off the screen showing Subject Nyx and turned to the other screen to where she could observe Volleko.

He was calming down, but his constant slamming of things didn't cease. As he threw himself into the chair, he removed his glasses and ran his hands over his face with a heavy sigh. Leaning back in his chair, he mumbled something to himself and then turned to the console of switches.

He was about to flick the first four when he paused. Lados saw that he lingered for nearly a full minute, as if uncertain to pull them. He kept glancing between the console and her. Finally he switched on the first three and sat back with his arms crossed.

Lados switched it off and turned away. Perhaps once all this was over, she would discard the little bastard too.

Exiting her viewing room, she went down the hall towards the lab. She would confront him on this, just to see if he truly did pity this human. Entering the lab, she saw Volleko drumming his fingers against the table and watching the screen.

''You have done well in retrieving the Subject, Volleko.''

He nodded and replied with his back still turned. ''I do only the best for you Lados...after all I do owe you my life.''

Lados stood next to him and hissed. ''You are breaking Volleko...I can feel it. Is it her?''

Volleko looked up at her, his eyes dark and full of rage. ''I feel nothing for this Subject...the only thing I want is to complete these damn tests.''

He angrily seized the console and jammed all six switches into play. The machines in the deep of the station hummed to life with an alarming eeriness. Lados grinned wickedly and said. ''Then her death at the end of these trials will not effect you?''

Volleko stiffened ever so slightly before asking. ''Death?''

''Why yes Volleko...her entire body will be sucked free of blood and every drop will go to my soldiers. She will become as dry as bone.''

Volleko began drumming his fingers again and muttered. ''Then her death will mean nothing to me.''

Lados grasped his shoulder with her bony fingers. ''Good Volleko, your loyalty pleases me so.''