Painful Memories

She was standing in her apartment.

She had just showered, her body covered in a cotton towel as she was sipping a mug of coffee. She was alone in her own solitude and for a split moment at complete peace, but such a feeling drained when the sound of breaking glass echoed from behind her.

Three men had entered, energy rifles aimed at her head. She froze and the world seemed to slow as the mug slipped from her grasp and a man entered.

He told her they had been watching her and considering she was Special Forces, they needed her immediately. She went to argue back saying that her employers never broke down her front door, but a sudden surge of pain through her mind silenced her.

One hand clasping the front of her towel and the other her head, she cried out as the pain ran through her mind and down her spine. The man approached her, his hands coming to rest on her shoulders. She was frightened as their eyes met and he whispered. ''Now you will fall.''

*****

Subject Nyx awoke with a start, the memory now fading into her mind. Sitting up, she rubbed her head, slightly dazed from recent events.

''I see you are awake.''

She looked up to see The Scientist standing a foot from her, his hands clasped tightly behind his back. He was in his lab coat once more, no sign of any physical damage marred his features nor did any inflictions cause his step to limp.

''Where am I?'' She snarled.

''In the Waiting Room.'' He replied.

The room was once again solid white and the familiar blue lasers running between each panel. After all this she was going to be sick of white.

Getting to her feet, Subject Nyx allowed her rage filled eyes to meet his as she readied to face him once more. She wasn't sure who was going to throw the first fist.

''There is no point in that.'' He glared back at her. ''You have one last test left, this time no weapons-''

''Why tests! What is it you and your people want with me!''

The Scientist crossed his arms. ''Because my Leader wants you.''

''For what?'' Subject Nyx approached him quickly and stood only a few inches from him. ''What are you planning?'' He leaned closer and smirked. ''I guess you'll have to survive to find out.''

Angrily she went for his throat, swearing to the top of her lungs that she'll rip him to shreds for nearly killing her with all his damned tests.

He suddenly grabbed her arm tightly and shouted back. ''You are lucky Subject Nyx...you would have been dead now if not for me! My Leader wanted to test you harder!''

She struggled against his grip and hissed. ''Oh so now for the first time in your life...you care for someone.''

His expression became like stone as she continued. ''I doubt that you will ever care about me or anyone else!'' His grip tightened on her arm. ''Your soul is hollow, dark, and cold.'' She suddenly grabbed his collar, yanking him forward. ''You are a pitiful human being!''

''Enough!'' He shouted.

Subject Nyx only continued to glare at him as he looked down, releasing her arm. She wasn't going to let him slip away again, she kept her grip like steel on his collar. With a hiss she said. ''You were the one who broke into my apartment and tortured me with your mind control.''

Subject Nyx saw that for a fleeting moment there was regret in his eyes, but it soon vanished as fiery rage overcame. ''I did what I had to!'' He growled, breaking free of her grip.

''I was given my job and you were the target, I do not regret what I have done!''

He stormed back towards the open doorway, glancing back once to shout. ''Your next test is difficult...this time I won't hold back!'' The door slammed shut behind him, leaving Subject Nyx alone once more.