Chapter 15

The two-story, Colonial-style home was completely dark except for the porch light that glowed for no one.

A black Mercedes E-class sedan was parked in the front driveway of a perfectly groomed front yard.

From what Jacob could make out in the moonlight, every shrub and blade of grass seemed to be perfect manicured and there wasn't a leaf out of place.

Jacob had been hiding in the neighbor's bushes where he was completely covered, but still had a clear vantage point to spy on the front of Mr. Bogart's home.

He was alone but armed with Sheldon's drone, a dozen bottle-rockets and roman candles and a headset programmed to communicate with the walkie-talkie that Hunter had with him.

"Jack Rabbit, this is Black Bird, do you copy? What's your twenty?" Jacob spoke into the mouth piece, which was positioned in front of his mouth on an arm that extended from the ear piece.

Hunter and Alexis was nearing the front door of the Brotherhood Lodge when Jacob's voice cut through the silence like a clap of thunder. Hunter quickly grabbed the walkie-talkie from his belt and turned the volume down.

Both he and Alexis had nearly jumped out of their skin when Jacob had spoken, and Hunter silently prayed that no one else had heard the noise.

They ducked into a dark doorway to make sure that no one would come out to see what the sound had been.

Hunter had never stood this close to Alexis before and it felt weird to him. He wasn't attracted to her, but being this close to her and working together in such a dangerous situation was producing odd feelings in him.

"Jack Rabbit, do you copy?" Jacob called again.

"Give me that." Alexis took the walkie-talkie away and spoke into the mouth piece like a mother would talk to a child. "Listen, Jack...."

Hunter stopped her. A sheriff's car was driving slowly down the street. He and Alexis shrunk back into the shadows as far as they could. Both hoped it was far enough.

The car passed without stopping and cruised down the street.

Alexis opened up the channel again. "Hey moron, keep your voice down. You almost got us caught."

"You realize that you control the volume, right?"

Hunter could just imagine the smile on Jacob's face when he said that.

Alexis also realized the error in his statement. "Just shut up. We're almost to the Lodge. The only time you need to use this stuff is if you see Mr. Bogart. Got it?"

"Yes, sir," Jacob said, intentionally using the masculine term as a way of harassing Alexis even more.

Alexis looked at Hunter and asked, "Remind me again why we let him be our friend?"

Hunter shrugged. "You're the one who likes him."

He quickly wished he hadn't said that.

The look on Alexis' face told Hunter he was in trouble, without her even having to say anything. Instead she turned and walked across the street toward the Lodge.

Hunter followed and jogged to catch up. Alexis was walking fast with long strides and he guessed it was more out of anger than adrenaline.

When they reached the front door, Hunter reached into his pocket for the keys Jacob had given them. Hunter sure hoped these were the actual keys to the Lodge, or else their entire mission was going to be one of the shortest rescue attempts in history.