Chapter 10

As the trio walked to Main Street, they talked about how weird it was that a group supposedly involved in illegal activities would have their Lodge right in the middle of town. Solomon had mentioned that part of their cover was to act as a club that performed community services. By doing this, suspicion was usually diverted.

Jacob used his phone to look up more about the Brotherhood.

"They even have a website," he said. "Some secret society they are."

Hunter was curious of what the site said. He would love to know as much as possible before confronting Mr. Bogart on his home turf.

"Not much on it, looks like most of it is hidden behind a firewall. I would need a login to see it," Jacob said.

"I'm surprised you even know how what a firewall is," Alexis teased.

"Sheldon's not the only one who knows how to use the Internet," Jacob said defensively.

"Does it say anything helpful?" Hunter asked, trying to distract the two from their constant bickering.

"It says the Lodge was opened just a few years ago. One of the first Lodges for the Brotherhood. Blah, blah, blah. Guess this didn't help much after all," Jacob said, a note of dejection in his voice.

"Hey, you tried. It was a good idea." For the first time in a long time, Alexis paid Jacob a compliment that did not go unnoticed by both boys. Jacob was about to reply but Alexis stopped him. "Don't say anything dumb, or I will never say anything nice to you again."

Jacob shut his mouth and the group kept walking.

As the three reached the Lodge, they were surprised that they had never noticed the place before. In all their trips down Main Street, no one could remember ever seeing the Lodge or having ever heard anyone talk about it. Not that the Lodge was hidden, but it was a plain unassuming brick-and-stone exterior with no windows and only a front door.

Above the door was a large sign with a five-pointed star on it. Each point of the star was painted a different color with a strange white symbol centered in the point. Behind the star was what looked like a drafting tool. There was no other writing on the sign to denote what the building was. Below the sign in metal lettering were the words "Lodge 441." On the door, stenciled in gold leaf lettering, were the words, "Brotherhood of the Saints."

The sun was setting and the final rays of light illuminated the smoked glass window which made up most of the door. The reflection of the light blinded the kids as they tried to look in.

Next to the door was a doorbell. Hunter tried the door—locked. He looked at his watch to see that it was nearly six o'clock and he wondered if anyone would even be at the Lodge that late.

Hunter looked back at Jacob and Alexis, who nodded for him to ring the bell.

They couldn't hear any sound when he pushed the button and they all wondered if it even worked. The building looked like it had to be 100 years old or older, which meant it would have been one of the first buildings built in the town. Being that old, it was anybody's guess as to whether anything worked inside.

Hunter pushed the button again. Inside, a door slammed shut and they could hear footsteps approaching.

The door opened and a middle-aged man wearing a suit and tie looked out.

"Can I help you?"

The man was pleasant and seemed friendly.

"Yeah, hi. My friends and I were wondering what this place was." Hunter said casually.