24. New Blood

"Excuse me, I said," Sarah said as she stared at two rough looking men, standing outside a tavern. Sarah was tall and thin, with long flowing red hair that reached her lower back. She wore brown trousers with a brown loose fitting shirt, finished off with a black belt with a large silver buckle and a cutlass attached to it. All this was covered with a long black coat that reached just below her ankles.

It was late at night and a slight breeze was whistling through the streets of Xaymaca. Sarah Ward was standing underneath a street lantern that flickered as it got teased by the slight breeze. All around her, drunk people were talking and singing loudly as they walked by.

"I said, let me through!" Insisted Sarah, staring at the men in front of her.

"You know missy, give us what we want, and we will not have a problem," said one of the men as he smirked.

"What you want? And what may that be?" Sarah asked sarcastically.

The other man smirked as well, then said, "you know. You come us..."

"Enough of this, you are wasting my time," Sarah said as she drew her cutlass.

"Oh, and what is such a pretty little thing like you going to do about it?" Asked one of the men in a patronising manner, then laughed with the other man. Sarah looked at them, then smiled.

Suddenly she took a step forward as she lunged and drove her cutlass into the one man's chest. The other man fell silent, and quickly reached for his musket. As he took aim towards Sarah, Sarah drew her cutlass from the first man's chest, and swung it towards the musket. The man screamed as the musket, as well as the hand that held it, fell to his feet. He grabbed his stump, turned around and started to run. Sarah then swiftly bent down, placed one foot on the dismembered hand, and pulled the musket free. She stood up straight, took aim, and fired at the man that was running from her.

"Disgusting creatures," she said as she stuck the musket in her trousers. She turned towards the tavern door, and walked in. Once she was inside, she stopped and looked across the room. Like every night in every tavern, this one was filled to brim and loud. She looked across the room again, then stopped when she spotted him. In the middle of the room was a small table, with two jugs of ale on it. Sitting at the table, was a man who wore a long black coat and red boots. Apart from the manifestation of grey, his hair was raven black and reached his shoulders. He had on a small tricorne with bright orange feathers.

"There you are. I have been looking for you," Sarah said as she approached the table. She sat down and took a sip of ale.

"You are late," Abraham Ward said with a deep, baritone voice and took a sip of his ale as he looked up at her.

"But I am here now, am I not? Besides, I got held up." Sarah said.

"Everything fine?" Abraham asked.

"Yes. Nothing I could not handle. My father taught me well," Sarah said and smiled.

"Indeed I have," Abraham said and took another sip.

"So where is this recruitment taking place?" Sarah asked and looked around.

"Tomorrow morning. At the harbour," Abraham replied.

"And do you know for which ship?" Sarah asked again.

"Black... something," Abraham said as he shrugged his shoulders.

"Good. The gold of Cortez might be ours yet," Sarah said as she smiled.

--------

The next morning, Sarah woke, laying in a hammock in a small room. There was a small window and the walls were cracked with old yellow paint peeling off. She rolled out of the hammock and almost stepped on Abraham who slept on the floor next to her.