Chapter 3: The New Intern's Here

You know, I've been working here for so long I can't even remember when I actually had a great time at work. Then again, it's near abnormal for one to actually enjoy the work they do. After a while.

" HEY, RAY! HOW'S IT GOING BUDDY? HOW'S IT HANGIN' PAL? WHAT IT DO, PAWT NAH!" Danny just annoyed me with his simple presence now a days. Now he's trying his best to get with the times by dressing more " fly" ever since he started listening to hip hop.

"White boy please..." I replied as I settled myself to begin the workload that was set out for me today. I got off easy this time, from the CEO herself. I can't even fathom to risk this God given chance.

"OHHH WATCH OUT HOMIE I GOTS DA FOUR FOUR ON MY LAP!" he made a finger gun and pointed at me. This damn idiot looked like a 5 year old playing Cops and Robbers.

"......Danny, don't you have work to do?" I tried my best to put on the most convincing smile possible.

"Nah homie G, I gots my works done early. The benefit of the early bird. Awe Yeah!" he fist pumped once, and gave me such a tacky ass smile. All I wanted to do at this point was to punch him square in the face.

"Um, well, I have a heavy work load today so, I'll catch you later eh? Maybe lunch?" let alone I just lied to him wanting to meet up at lunch. I was simply looking for an exit out of this awkward conversation.

"Fine BUDDY! " he gave me a friendly wink and walked away. Finally, I can begin my work.

After a couple of stressful hours of filling our forms, making calculations and the usual extra. I opened up the Internet and searched up a quick game to play to relieve some of the tension.

In a corner of my eye I saw Danny approach my cubicle once again. Before he could even reach to position himself like he would normally do to bug me I said " Danny, I'm busy."

"No no man, I'm not here to bother you Mr.WorksALot I just wanted to let your patootie know about the new intern! They say she looks creepy as fudgsicles!"

I was so interested in this new intern that I completely ignore the fact he replaced the word 'fuck' for fudgsicles. I stood up and followed him and a couple of other co-workers to a part of the office area where we could see the workers arrive from the elevator area.

As the left elevator unit door opened, Danny nudged me with his elbow, signaling that the one arriving now, was the new intern everyone was now talking about.

She walked out, wearing this threaded gray female business suit. She looked like she shopped at a thrift store for the attire she was wearing. It was so dull, so poor , so ugh.

Her face reflected that of one of those people who are loners, and eventually age adopting a great number of pets to replace actual people in their life. Her hair, horridly done, her skin, tan. The stare in this young woman's face resembled that of either depression or sheer emptiness. Her shoulders were slumped forward as she held on to her binder like some middle school girl. She looked like her stylist was a witch.

She came towards the office area and everyone instantly began to act as if they didn't notice her arrival. Danny grabbed me and turned me to him, pretending to conversate.

" Blah blah blah blah, blah?" he looked at me lifting an eyebrow, insinuating that I go on with it.

"Um......blah?" I said in a clueless tone.

All the while this chick checked the small group of workers that formed on one side, kind of giving an obvious note that we were expecting her when arrived. She walked past me and Danny, to settle in a cubicle that was right beside his.

" ... Great, now I got the evil witch of Oz next to me..." Danny silently commented.

"Ha! Yeah, now you can definitely show her your warm personality and charisma that everyone here enjoys so much." I gave a fake mocking smile after that statement.

"Ha... Ha... Ha... Funny Ray, is that a new one? I don't think so, cause I wasn't really laughing, I was just doing a pretend laugh to make you feel better about how undelightful your humor is."

I sat back at my desk, and peered over my cubicle to check out the new intern's one. She just sat there.

Blankly staring at her computer.