Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen (Lucas' POV)

No.

The word caught in my throat as Carter glowered at me, his dark eyes sharp and his body tense as if he were ready to pounce on me at any second. There was no doubt in my mind that Carter was here to hurt me, not talk.

"Are you scared of me, queerdo?" Carter asked mockingly, pressing his good hand against the door behind me. I grimaced at the smell of his breath that reeked of garlic and alcohol. What sort of idiot drinks before going to school? I didn't say that aloud, though, just glared at him as he smirked.

"Huh. You used to be scared all the time. What happened? Think just because you're Ethan's bitch that he'll protect you?" He sneered. I said nothing, glared, my body ready to bolt. I knew I wouldn't make it far with Rico and Mike hovering like hawks, but I could make it far enough to get help.

Or even better.

Ethan and Nick were in the room behind me. I could easily grab their attention with enough noise. If I could just quit being a coward and yell.

"What? Waiting for your master to come and see if you need help?" Carter mused, lifting a brow, then dropped his hand onto my head. Instantly, I felt the intent to harm with just that touch. His nails scraped my scalp, sending chills through me as I held my breath, staring right into Carter's dark eyes.

I had to get away from here.

Carter wasn't just in this to hurt me.

I knew that feeling.

I knew it far too well to know that sticking around would get me killed.

Would Carter really try and kill me? Did he hate me that much? Or, no... Did he really hate Ethan that much?

Carter racked his nails through my hair, catching a handful and making me gasp as he jerked me forward, his lips brushing my ear as he leaned down.

"Come on, bitch. Let's take a walk. Unless you want Ethan in trouble with the cops again." He threatened. I felt my heart leap into my throat as I just gave a nod. Carter visibly relaxed, letting go of my hair, only to grab the sleeve of my sweatshirt, jerking me forward. He shoved me down the hallway and I had no choice, but to move away from the locker rooms. I threw a glance over my shoulder.

Ethan, please come out.

Carter blocked my back, giving me a wicked, daring smirk that made me whirl around and keep walking with Rico and Mike leading me. I felt like I was walking up the steps to the gallows or something. The same, rippling cold sensation that you were in trouble.

The burning hot anger that being trapped, again.

I hated this. I always ended up in these situations.

It's because you're a coward. A voice in my head sneered, making me grimace.

I wasn't a coward. I just knew my limitations, and unfortunately, I had enough of those to share with the world and then some.

I followed Rico and Mike all the way to the end of the hallway. We quickly went past the kitchen and out the back doors into the cafeteria facilty parking lot. A couple of cars and a van sat crookedly in the rubbed off parking spaces. The sun was warm and glaring down at us. I wanted to pull my hood up, but Carter grabbed it the instant it crossed my mine, giving it a rough tug.

I choked, stumbling back as Carter tore me backwards so I lost my balance and hit the asphalt. I sputtered for the air that was knocked from my lungs. I rolled onto my side, struggling to sit up as I panted.