Why Couldn't My Heart Be Set On Him?

Landon's POV

"Hello?" Who was this? It definitely wasn't Xavier. "Yo is anyone there? I'm going to hang up." Fudge.

"Malcolm! I swear to god if you hang up, I'm telling our parents about the crap you pulled last week!"

Lexi could hear every thing since it was only the two of us and especially because of that werewolf hearing, which is exactly why my ears are bleeding. She was practically screaming as close as she could possibly get to my phone.

I glared at her, 'Will you cut it out?' She gives me a sheepish smile and I roll my eyes.

"You know she still thinks your gay, right?" Oh its you, I thought we finished our talk earlier. I'll deal with you later, I tell my wolf.

"Lexi? Is that you?" Lexi looks at me expectantly and I pass her my phone, she mouths 'Thank you.' to me.

I nodding, I head towards the fridge, looking for ingredients to make breakfast. Hmm how lazy am I going to be today? Cereal? Yup, sounds good to me.

I take the milk carton out of the fridge and place it on the kitchen counter. Then moving towards the cupboard to grab a bowl, passing by the dish rack to get a spoon and lastly, picking up the box of fruity pebbles from the pantry.

What can I say? I'm fruity, I mean I'm a part of the rainbow but I'm not gay. I'm pan, meaning I like who I like if you catch my drift.

But why does Lexi think I'm gay you may ask. It was part of a stupid bet, I had to kiss the next person who walked through the door. It just so happened that Lexi came in right after the guy. God how I wish it was her.

She had my heart since we first met. I don't know how she managed to wiggle her way in. Maybe it was her smile. Or the way she lit up the room with her presence.

What is she doing to me? "Landon."

"Ah!" I spun around to see her giving me this grin and clearly struggling to not laugh out loud.

"You know you could have given me some kind of warning, instead of creeping up behind me like a ghost."

She burst out in giggles, "Sorry I forgot how easily scared you can get." She held out my phone. "How'd it go?"

Lexi's POV

"I don't know. He was pissed, almost way more over protective brother than you get."

Landon nodded, "Did you ask about him?" I didn't want to have this talk right now, but I knew Landon wouldn't let it go.

I get out a huge sigh and hopped on his counter right next to his bowl of cereal. "How did you not hear a word of what was going on? What's going on in that thick skull of yours?"

Landon ran his fingers through his hair, something he always does when he's unsure about something. "Hey let's not change the subject shall we? Did you ask about Xavier?"

Oh lord, just hearing his name made me want to cry. The images from last night resurfaced.

His smile that was clearly only reserved for her. Then the look of guilt that flashed through his eyes. God it hurt.

Why did I have to be paired with someone who was already spoken for? What had I done in my past life to deserve this pain? Someone tell me!

The tears were reappearing, I barely registered the fact that Landon had taken me down from the counter top. I was sobbing into his chest, for the second time in the past ten hours. God he's just a boy.

"He's not just any boy, he's our mate." He's not my mate. He obviously has his heart set on someone else, who am I to break them apart? Some random girl who appeared and just so happens to have the title of being his mate.

"Lexi?" I was so tired at this point, tired from last night's fiasco and tired of what's bound to come.

I lean back far enough in his arms to properly look at him in the face. I'm not sure what emotions pass through his eyes, I saw hurt, anger, and love? Why couldn't it have been Landon?

He wipes my tears, "You're breaking my heart here. I can't stand seeing you cry. Cheer up for me, beautiful? Please?" I sniffled and pouted at him.

"Do I have to tell you more cheesy pick up lines? Because I'm chalk full of them and you know it." I did. Every time I cried, Landon always cheered me up with these cheesy yet sweet pick up lines that only he knew.

"You know I saw the doctor the other day. He told me I was addicted." Huh?

Landon must have seen the confusion on my face because what he said next made me smile, "I told him I knew from the start I was hooked on you."

He grinned and whispered, "There it is. My smile."

I hadn't noticed how close we were until just then. Landon's arms were holding me up from my waist, my arms rest on his shoulders, my legs were wrapped around his waist, and our foreheads were pressed together.

It was the first time I was self conscious about my appearance in front of him. Was he always this good looking? Why hadn't I noticed before?

Why couldn't my heart be set on him?