NaNo Part 7

Rania looked at Gixanna with shock in her eyes. "You did not just mean that did you your honor?"

Gixanna made a lopsided smile and then after a careful point of showing that she was thinking she nodded her head yes. "Why yes. I think it would be fabulous to find Councilor Sur's body amongst the wreckage of the Consulate. It's not every day that I get to see what is going on with my own eyes." She made a slight laugh that made Rania wince inside. This was going entirely too fast. Rania was sure that everything that was happening was not being thought about at all, but she dared not raise her own voice to be the voice of reason. She did not want to get into trouble for it. Luckily for her, she did not have to. The voice of reason as it turned out was Maria.

"This is foolishness. Don't you see what you are doing here? If we go to Mangaria, chances are we will be caught and then we will be tortured, and then we will be killed to appease the crown. First off, there is no way that you can get me out of this prison without the Kings consent. Secondly, even if I was able to get out, if we are captured then when we are ransomed, the King will find out and all hell will break loose again!"

Drake looked at her calmly and then nodded his head. "She's right. Even with the quorum that we have here, we cannot allow her to be caught."

Balthendis nodded his head and then said, "Then don't let her be caught. Keep someone down here as a double. Those of us Judges who are here will be able to constantly keep watch over her and monitor the double while the real Dam'menda VonBrunis is out gallivanting with her honor Gixanna and the Clerk Major."

Maledi nodded his head. "This is all well and good; however, what is it that they are actually going over to Consulate to determine?"

"Quite simple - They want to know how this case and the dead Judge fit together." Maria's voice rang out amongst everyone who was present and as she spoke Rania felt a surge to speak her own mind on the matter.

"What if we do find Councilor Sur; what then? What do we do with him if he really is a part of a Consulate plan to depose the ministry? What are we going to do then?"

Gixanna smiled and raised her hand to help make her point. "We crush them. Once they are crushed properly and thoroughly, we make sure that they can never do it again!" Gixanna had the look of a maniac on her face, and her chest heaved in anticipation. Rania was sure that she most assuredly didn't want to travel with this woman.

Maria snorted. "I see that would be your answer to everything then your honor?"

Gixanna place a hand on one of her hips and jutted the other one out. "So what if it is? I think that the Ministry has become a little soft lately. We need more battle to harden the Judges that we have been making lately."

"You're worried about the Judges then," mused Maria. "I thought you would be more concerned as to who needs to die to make you a Judge Magister."

Gixanna's mouth dropped open and her eyes looked haunted. "How dare you even think of such a thing!"

Maria put a hand up in the air. "There is no use denying it your honor. I see you in the garb of a Judge and with a helmet to boot. I can see it now even, but I won't make too much of it. You have no reason to worry."

Rania walked over to Maria and looked her dead in the eyes. "If you don't want to come with us that is fine. I can see why they call you the Seer and why that power would be invaluable to us on our journey. I know you think that this is something silly and we shouldn't even be thinking about doing this, but I do have a question for you. If you had this power the whole time, then you saw what was going to happen, you saw it coming. Did you kill your brother?"