Lay: Street Dance, Street Love

I skipped down the streets with the box of food in my hands. As a social worker, I often helped seniors that were mistreated or just homeless people in general. A few weeks ago, I met an old lady that was living on the streets. Her short, wavy hair was all white but the smile she gave me was warm and welcoming. She's one of my clients now, and everyday I go and visit her, with food, clothes, and whatever necessities she needs that day.

I held the box that was wrapped in a white, plastic bag up to my nose. It smelled wonderful. Surely Nai Nai would like it, I thought to myself as I sped up to her usual counter. There was a crowd that stood in my way, and I pushed my way through. 

"Excuse me, excuse me!" I called. People shoved and pushed me around until I landed right in the middle of the circle. A young man was also in the centre, except he was dancing, unlike me, who was still flat on the floor. His face was slim and long, and he had very charming eyes that were half-covered by the black cap he wore. I was admiring his dancing skills on the ground until I remembered what I had yet to do. "Oh, shoot!" I sprang up and continued running until I reached Nai Nai's place. It was covered with brown, simple, cardboard boxes, as always. A small, white head popped out from one of the large boxes to greet me.

"Ah! Ni hao, eh, Q-nu!" 

"Q-nu" was my nickname that Nai Nai gave me, derived from my name, Ke Ai, which meant "cute". I loved it. It was cheerful, and the tune she sang it with always brought joy to my life like the joy I bring to others.

"Nai Nai! Ni hao! Look at what I brought you!" I lifted the bag up. "Fried rice!" 

She smiled adorably, "Xie xie!" She took it out of my hands and started eating, spilling rice everywhere.

"Nai Nai, take your time!" I laughed as I wiped off a few pieces of rice off of her lips. I noticed that her tin container near her bed was full. "How did your box get so full all of a sudden?"

"Oh, that? A young man in his 20's gave the money to me. He dances! He saw me on the streets one day and offered me some money, but I refused. I don't want to accept his money for no reason, so he decided to work and give me the profits from his performances." She stuck her savings out to me. "See? He gave all this to me! He's a really nice person." 

Just then, the street dancer from before went up to us and crouched down. 

"Nai Nai, here you go. I earned this just now." He gave her a stack of money. She took it and peeled a bill out, then returned the rest of the stack back to him.

"You deserve this. I'm not going to take all the sweat and bloodstained money you earned."

"What bloodstained money? Nai Nai, I danced for it! Not murdered someone!" She giggled like a little girl and looked at me. "Ah! I almost forgot to introduce Q-nu! Yixing, this Q-nu. Q-nu, this is... Yixing!" 

 "Hi, nice to meet you," I lent him my hand, but he didn't take it. Instead, he nodded and lowered his cap. 

"Uh, Nai Nai, I have something to do. I'll visit you later, okay?"

"Yeah, go go. Work is always important. Leave." She shooed him away with her hand and he dimpled and left.

"How rude of him," I scoffed as I put my hand down.

"Yixing isn't really that rude. He's just shy, that's all! Give him some time, Q-nu. Not all people are as easy-going as you," she laughed. I joined her and knelt by her side to talk some more.

The very next day, I brought some new, silk-made clothes to Nai Nai as well as some food, but when I arrived, Yixing was already there with a box in his hands.