Chapter 14, To Battle or not to Battle

“This is enough, I’ve had enough. I wont tolerate how you lot talk about my daughter. I apologize your Highness but I think it best if we leave. We are not welcome here and as of now, I have reason to fear for my daughters safety.” Daddy had been in a heated argument with the heads around the table, yelling back and forth for almost an hour.

I was listening to everything, and most of it did bother me, but I didn’t let it. I know I was meant for something special, just as my boys were, but this thing with Prince Miguel was starting to take its toll on me. He hasn’t, not once, looked away from me since he made his statement. It was making my nerves jump around like a jumping bean, just not fun.

“I understand Mr. Mills, but I think it would be best to hash this out. I only see bad things coming if you leave at this moment” King Marcus explained. I hated to agree with him, but for some reason the thought of stepping outside this castle right now, actually sent a pang of fear through my chest.

Seeing how these people have reacted to us has really started to shake me, I mean I understand how they don’t want me here, but all I see is the greed from it. Not one of those people have said anything about the welfare of others. Only that they will be affected by my coming in and changing things.

Right then one man decided to start a yelling match, screaming at my father how I'm an abomination. Let me tell you at that point I had had enough.

Then like an answer to my prayers I felt it. I felt my string. And you know what, the damn translucent string ran straight to the jabber mouth man. I smirked to myself, oh this will be fun.

I latched the string in my mind and pulled, making him immediately shut up. Oh god this is good. Others around the table looked at him expectantly. I let him sweat for a second, pulling just a little tighter inflicting my emotions into him, the fear and how hurt I was by their words. He felt it all, and most of all, he felt my anger. He just didn’t know why or how.

Being wired to him this way, I knew I had full control, I figured I would gain some supporters since this idiot is the one mostly leading them. No body really noticed his pause, it honestly was only a breath or two before his voice carried my words.

“I am sorry everyone, I am in the wrong” I heard collective gasps from around the table, and whispers starting. I never looked at him, I kept my eyes bored, not paying much attention. “As I was talking I just realized something. I realized that I, in fact, haven’t done much for anyone and therefor have just come to the conclusion that I believe Akira will manage her position well enough, who knows it may end up benefiting all of us in the end. But I am sorry, I believe you now, and I think you will do us all a world of good.”

I ended my speech much to my own amusement. That was fun. I still controlled him as he sat down, but again you would never know it. I risked a glance towards King Marcus, pretending to look shocked, but I could tell right away that he knew. I don’t think that man has a lack of knowledge of anything. I smiled sweetly, not showing anything, I didn’t want others to know what I could do. I realized that the table seemed to have calmed down now, and discussions began again but calmer and with less heat. I wonder if this was what they meant by me being 'The Mediator'?

I had just deviated a situation and have now allowed the parties to conduct themselves in a more proper manner. The gentleman I just controlled, I released to speak freely now, and from the connection I can see, he truly believes what he was just told to say, although he didn’t know that or why, again funny to me.

We sat for several minutes in silence when everyone had said their peace. King Marcus sat back taking in all the information. The group talked about the possibility of me making things worse, talked about wars happening over changes. Talked about ranks of counsel and packs, who would be against this and who they think would be for it. Even though I listened, I wasn’t totally there. I had released my hold on the grumpy man and sat there.