:11: Aladdin

The monkey took Dark into deep catacombs of the city. Wind littered with sand blew against his side and he struggled to see through his fingers. But he managed to catch up with the monkey. Everywhere he glanced he saw rugged walls and filthy conditions. Peering into boarded up windows, he managed a glance at people crouching up against a wall, their hands folded in prayer. They must've been in those positions for the majority of their days.

Sand rubbing up against his teeth, Dark was beginning to hate this place, not that it ever impressed him. And following this stupid monkey seemed to be getting him nowhere. As soon as the regret of leaving the other two set in, it was abolished by another turn around the labyrinth streets. The monkey had stopped at the feet of a boy, one no older than 14, and reached up to him. Dark watched the boy bend down and grab some of what was in the monkey's small hand.

The boy stood straight again, setting his eyes on his monkey's tag along. He quickly stashed his goods, stepping back and narrowing his eyes on Dark. The unsettling aura Dark emitted gave the boy uncertainty. He glowered behind his scarf and brought his hand up to his other, as if defensively. "Who are you? What do you want?"

Dark tilted his head a bit. The boy had a rich, Indian accent that sent Dark into puzzlement; he had never encountered an accent like that before. Scratch that; he had never encountered an accent before. Chewing the inside of his lip at this, Dark dared not step forward but puffed his chest out for good measure. "I am Lel Darkpeter, grade 11 of the second division. I've come from afar to this land in search of something... precious." Dark regretted that word, but dared not take it back. He wasn't going to look unsure of himself in front of a mere child. "And who are you?"

The boy narrowed his already thin eyes at this suspicious man. Each secretly spat at each other from behind their scarves and muttered, "Strange accent," to themselves about the other. But soon the boy nodded and turned, imploring Dark to follow.

Dark was led down a series of thin, dark streets. He glanced at everything uncomfortably, suspiciously. The dark doorways and trashcans were too hard not to suspect. But soon, Dark was preoccupied with his footing; they were soon leaping from roof to unstable roof. Dark eyed the boy, the strange boy, with suspicion as well. How was this boy still standing in such harsh surroundings? And how did he know how to leap from roof to roof like this? What was with the monkey? These questions, none of which Dark ever suspected he'd ask himself in his life time, would be answered soon enough. They arrived.

Drag, dark, and dusty as everything else in this God forsaken sand pit, the doorway was hidden behind boards. The boy reached his hand under the wooden panels and they all lifted up together, and the doorway presented itself behind their ruse. Dark glanced around, sure no one was around, but still making sure before he followed the boy into the little shack. It was just as depressing inside as out. The walls looked naked and cold, chipping into dust piles on the floors. There was nothing really to look at save a small box that apparently served as a table and a hole in the ground where embers glowed; a poor excuse for a fire. 

The "door" slammed behind him, and he stood up straight, pulling his scarf down out of his mouth. He watched as the boy checked all the windows and glanced at the glowing embers before returning his attention to Dark. The boy puffed out his chest, trying ever so hard to be taller, and frowned a bit as his monkey left his shoulder to inspect a small hole in the wall on the other side of their hovel. 

"Now," said the boy with a slightly deeper voice now, "How did you get here and what are you looking for?"

Dark frowned and got a few inches taller himself, not ready to be outdone by a child. "I have no conversation for a no-named whelp."

The boy puffed out even more, his frown thickening. His hand bolted up to the scarf around his mouth and he ripped it down, showing lips so dry they looked like they were made of sand and a scar that ran down the left side of his mouth. "What did you call me!? My name's not whelp; it's Aladdin, and don't you forget it!" 

Dark was relieved to see the boy release emotion; emotion was weakness. Dark was sure he had the upper hand now. What was more, he was listening even closer to the accent the boy had. It was fascinating to Dark. He watched as the boy stormed off and went to his monkey who was fiddling in the corner. Dark frowned and glanced at the haphazard door for a moment before continuing. "Well, Aladdin," he started, though uncomfortable with calling someone by their first name, "I'm looking for someone. I need to check if he's here or not before moving on."

The boy stood up suddenly, spinning around to look at him. "What?" His eyes went big and even his monkey jumped out of the hole in the wall. "'Move on'? You mean... you mean you've gotten out of here?" Aladdin ignored his monkey, who was running in circles on the ground. "You've gotten past the storm? How? Tell me!"

Dark stepped back as Aladdin stepped forward, grimacing. "I don't need to tell you anything."

Aladdin stared into Dark's eyes for a moment, his chocolate eyes only a few shades darker than his darkly burnt skin. He suddenly turned furiously cold and turned away, back to the hole in the wall. The monkey returned as well. "Then I don't need to tell you anything either. Now leave." 

Dark frowned. He had never met such resistance. "Now hold on, you. I'm-"

The boy jerked a bit, though didn't move from the wall as he screamed, "My name is Aladdin!"

Dark stopped and nearly spat openly at the boy as he yanked his scarf back around his mouth. He turned and shoved the splintery planks to reenter the sandy streets.

Out in the barren wasteland, the sandstorm had only picked up. Dark glared at the sky for a moment, then turned to the center of the town where the huge palace stood. Hmmph.

-------------

At the entrance of the palace, Dark saw a slew of guards all gathered around something. What it was, well, Dark wasn't quite sure he cared. He was certain he heard something--perhaps muffled grunts and barks. The sounds were familiar: those of someone being beaten.

Indifference. Dark avoided the area of the street, looking for the two in his company so they could leave. They wouldn't find anything here. Near the back of the palace's wall, he saw Donald on Goofy's shoulders, trying to a reach a bird that had flown high up on a perch in the wall.

He snorted, startling Goofy and sending the dull duo crashing to the floor. Dark crossed his arms impatiently. "I don't think I even wanna know what you two were up to," he mumbled, frowning stubbornly to himself. He bit his cheek to keep from snapping at them as they got up. "Let's go. There's nothing of interest to us here. I haven't heard anything from the people or the guards about anything new going on around here."

He looked down. It wasn't all that true. He was certain that there was nothing new going on because of the way the palace worked. His Aunt was closely tied to this place and it's ruler--if anything had happened, Dark would know it. Other worlds, however, would be an entirely different matter. His Aunt wasn't always the master of diplomacy. Enemies were always made.

The two made a fuss--mostly Donald--and Dark turned his face away, not having any of it. Yes, he kept saying, I'm certain. These two were such pains.

Leading the two to the front by foot, the complaints stopped when the brutal beating was in view. Dark smiled for a moment, welcoming the silence, but he saw the two run past him. "Hey!" He yelled, unknowingly calling the guards' attention as well.

The circle broke and two young boys were lying on the ground, bleeding and bruised. "What do you want, eh?" The guards taunted the group coming towards them for as long as they could. Of course, Goofy knocked down over half of the group of guards like bowling pins with his shield, and Donald set fire to the rears of all of the rest.

Dark was left with the task of approaching the two boys on the ground; the hardest part. What the hell was he supposed to say? It's not like he wanted to be here. He decided that yanking the two to their feet was good enough. One of them lunged forward with all his remaining strength and dug into Dark's jacket, grasping all he could find before squirming out of Dark's hands and sprinting with his friend.

"Hey!" Dark took a step for them, attempting to summon his blade but unable. He felt two hands hook onto his arms. Looking back, the two were holding him back. He didn't care what they said to him after that. He just wanted to leave.

And leave they did. There was nothing to be done about the place, nothing more than breaking up a simple fight. "Good riddance."