:7: Merge

“Dark, we’ve gotta talk to you.”

Amazing, he thought to himself, that they’re up so early. It was around four in the morning, and it seemed like the three had been up all night, talking. Dark would know.

Sighing, he stared at them uninterestedly. “What is it? I can’t be late for the Sentencing today.”

The three exchanged looks and Mickey finally blurted it out. “We want you to come with us on our search.”

Donald nodded vigorously and Goofy laughed, “Yeah, Sora! Come with u-oops.” He covered his mouth after getting a sharp jab in the waist from Donald.

Dark’s eyes grew angry as they did every time he heard that name, but instead of pushing it aside, he pressed on it. “Why do you keep calling me that? And if you’re so connected to this “Sora” kid, why don’t you just ask him to go on this stupid adventure with you?”

All three looked down. “Because,” Mickey whispered, “He’s the one we’re trying to find.”

Dark frowned a bit, almost trying to comprehend now.

Mickey sighed. “Well, we were with him just a few months ago. And, well, he was... taken.” Mickey shook his head. “We went after him almost immediately, but we lost him in the shadows and so far we haven’t found even a trace of him. We thought maybe finding you was a sign.” The other two seemed to nod. “He’s helped us so much, so we thought that maybe meeting you wasn’t a coincidence. That maybe you could-”

“You’re assuming that Sora and I have a connection,” Dark growled, glaring at the three. “What makes you think that I’ll be anything like him? I’ve already told you I have no idea who he is.”

“That’s just it,” Mickey sighed, glancing to the two beside him. “We… well, we think we’ve gone through to another dimension.”

At this point, Dark’s ears were closed. “I want you gone before I get home.” He spun around to the doorway, fuming.

Mickey went after him. “No, wait! It makes sense! The way you look, your voice, even your story! The kingdom, the knight and mage, the Cornerstone of Light. Our castle has a Cornerstone of Light too! Please, Sora, just hear us ou-”

Dark turned to the little mouse, glaring down at him with a fiery rage. “I haven’t the slightest intention of listening to you! Especially when you expect me to believe your crappy lies. And especially not when you continue calling me by that name! Now if you’re not out of my house by the time I get home, I’ll personally see to it that you’ll never have the chance to even start your little scavenger hunt!” And for the second time in the past 12 hours, he slammed the door in their faces.

“Lel Darkpeter.”

Dark’s stomach flipped with excitement, having been twisting itself into knots for the past two hours. They had been filled with both boredom and nerve-wracking anticipation. Once the soul binding ceremony had started, Dark felt his heart constrict with pure exhilaration. Unfortunately, there were rows of seniors with the last names of “A” through “Dan” before him, but he came soon enough; the senior class was quite small. When his name rang throughout the room, he knew most everyone’s eyes were searching up at the front row. With a twinge or pride, he rose and happily heard the chatter begin.

He went to the front, taking as slow steps as his excited body could go, listening to whispers about him. He stopped in front of the masked announcer, staring into his stone cold eyes and waiting; waiting for his weapon to be presented to him with all the glory and brilliance that he had dreamt about for so long now. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw it. It was being brought in on a beautiful cloth pillow, velvet and red, shining and shimmering as it carried to the center of the stage… a book. Dark heard chuckles emerge from the crowd behind him, and his heart sank. A book? Seriously? He didn’t know his Aunt was into jokes, and even if this was one, it wasn’t very funny. But he kept still, making sure not to shiver in anger and humiliation. But when the book arrived at the front, it wasn’t Dark to take it, but the announcer. This shut everyone up quickly. Everyone watched, especially Dark, as the book was opened to one of its last pages. On the cover, Dark saw, was an emblem etched with gold. Three circles, one large one centered and two slightly smaller ones overlapping it at each of its upper corners. It looked sort of familiar, but Dark couldn’t place it. No matter, his attention would not be divided. The announcer’s mouth opened as the last few pages were met, and he began to speak.