G U I L T

________

And she hates herself for it.

________

"Adiona, it's not your fault his sperm got into her womb," Cleo tried to implore, seeing the tense back of the archangel perched on top of the sofa arm, her back turned to her.

When she had shot up and practically yelled the forbidden question, Adiona had stiffened and gone quiet. Gone was the smiling archangel from just a few hours ago and in its place an emotionless creature was left again. Her impossible green orbs were void of emotion, her features smooth and cold, her lips simply resting on her face; not straight, not pursed, and not kissing hers.

Cleo mentally shook her head. She wanted to see those lips curve up into a smile, and she didn't care if it wasn't because of her. She realized now that she hated seeing the stone-hearted Adiona and loved the little moments when her emotions would show bit by bit. They reminded Cleo that even this powerful being, who got through a thousand hellhounds, slice mountains into half, and see the sun from amongst the clouds, was once a human too.

"Adiona?" she asked again guiltily, knowing that her mate hated her dark side with passion, and her question triggered something in her. She practically felt her switch off in her mind.

And that's another thing. After their first kiss, Cleo just couldn't hate Adiona anymore. It was like their minds had binded a little more, and she understood her a little better.

Adiona's back remained turned, her wings slumped. Cleo couldn't help but briefly muse at how adorable Archangels were when they pouted.

When no reply was heard still, Cleo turned to the stunning black woman who gestured to a room with a tilt of her head. It was a simple gesture, but she made it look so effortlessly charming. Cleo sighed in defeat and got up to walk to the room.

Adiona will come around, she heard a voice in her head and knew it was the dark-skinned woman speaking. She's just revisiting her demons right now. It will pass. It always does.

When Cleo stopped at the doorway, she let out a gasp and covered her mouth, choking back tears of relief. She felt her other hand grip the door frame for support as her eyes widened.

"Blaire?" her voice sounded strained. She surged forward, immediately clutching the shorter woman's hands in her own. "I hadn't seen you in over a month and I couldn't find you anywhere," she whispered against her best friend's chest, her heart a steady beat against her ear. Silence passed by the two women, one breathing hard with relief and the other, in a coma.

When Cleo was convinced that her best friend was indeed alive and very much real, she directed her voice tothe woman standing behind her.

"What happened?" Cleo asked softly, keeping her gaze directed at the bandaged head of her friend.

Instead of explaining, because Cleo wouldn't have understood how telepathic communication worked for higher beings, Azriel sent her a memory of what she remembered. Cleo would understand Blaire's situation better this way.

Cleo gasped as the image of seeing Blaire unconscious on the floor with blood around her head, flashed through her mind. She was even more horrified when she saw that the blood had come from her eyes.

When Blaire tried to contact Adiona, she had to do it over hundereds of miles of sea, Azriel projected that thought to her sadly. Not only that, she had to go through my barrier. The pain was so intense it caused her brain to damage. She had to cry blood.