47 Just As Strong

We go at it for hours until the sun comes up, and we all force shift back into our naked human forms—exhausted but healed. Xavier and Hunter rush into the room and I crawl out of the way. Jasper appears from the basement wearing a pair of basketball shorts and holding my clothes. I accept them from him, feeling awkward. This is the first time I've seen him since he kissed me.

"I have no idea how you were able to control yourself around them." He has a look similar to awe on his tired face.

I shrug, looking away. "She's like a sister. We're bonded."

"Still. . ."

"Maybe it's not a romantic bond but that doesn't mean it isn't just as strong."

Hunter and Hanna walk out of the room, and Travis immediately pulls her into his arms.

"I'm so sorry. I would never have forgiven myself—"

"Can we go home?" she asks.

He nods, his eyes closed.

I watch the three of them leave, using it as an excuse to avoid eye contact with Jasper. We need to talk about what that kiss meant, but now is not that the time. Or at least that's what I'll tell myself.

"Addison?" he asks.

"Are mornings always this airy after a full moon?"

"Airy?"

"Full of relief. Tired yet awake. Unsure of what all just happened."

"You know we—"

"I probably have a baby brother by now."

Eliza and Xavier walk out of the room. With one more glance at him, Eliza looks at me. "You ready?"

I jump at the chance to get away. "Yes."

Eliza drives since she's not as tired as me.

Five minutes pass before the words tumble out of my mouth. "I'm sorry for trying to kill you."

"You didn't kill me though."

"I tried to."

"I knew what I was getting into when I came. Hanna did as well." She taps her fingers on the steering wheel. "So I'm going to go to college."

"And be my nutritionist one day?"

"That's the plan, isn't it?"

I laugh. "Yes. I hope so. What about Xavier?"

"We're going to properly date."

"During college or after you graduate?"

"During. I know you don't like him."

I pick at my fingernails. "Look, I'll probably never like him. He's unfortunately my alpha though so I'm kind of stuck with him. But you know there's a good chance you'll end up a werewolf."

"I didn't agree to marry him. Just date him right now."

"Are you okay becoming one of us though?"

"Two of my favorite people in this world are werewolves. I'd be honored to be like them."

"But the risks. . . I don't want you to get hurt."

"There are risks to being human."

"Not every human has the risk of murdering everyone around them once a month."

"We'll just see what happens. Now tell me what's going to happen with you and Jasper."

Damn you, Eliza. I shoot her a pleading look not to make me talk about this which she doesn't see. "He kissed me."

Eliza swerves the truck. "What?"

"Yeah."

"When was this?"

Wringing my hands, I swallow. "A week ago."

"How was it? Did you like it?"

"I mean, yeah, but now it feels awkward around him, and I wish he hadn't kissed me and made our friendship awkward. I'm nervous at the thought of being alone with him—of having that conversation."

"A conversation that you don't want to be with him?"

"A conversation of what happens next."

She purses her lips. "Well do you want to be with him?"

"He's not exactly the greatest person in the world?"

"He's also the perfect person for you."

I pull my legs to my chest and bury my head in my knees. "He bit me and turned me into a werewolf. That can't be undone."

"Do you like him though?"

"I don't know. Shouldn't I just know?"

She frowns. "It's hard to be sure of anything unless you give it a chance. What did you feel when he kissed you?"

"Butterflies in my stomach."

She smirks.

"Stop. It's embarrassing as it is. I should have pushed him away, but I didn't want to and now everything is messed up. We're screwed up."

"You didn't screw him, did you?"

"Eliza!"

She laughs. "The fact that you're so conflicted about this means you haven't completely tabled him."

"But I should though."

"Should you?"

"I hardly know him."

"Isn't that what dating's for?"

He left me alone on that trail. He risked our lives because he didn't warn of that luprau attack. My family was jeopardized because of that. He bit me, taking away my human future I had always expected and given me one of a wolf.

He suffered through the agony of delaying the shift on the full moon so I'd have someone. He protected me last night. But all of that is because I'm his mate. Not because he actually cares. Why shouldn't he lead me on? Have some fun?

Eliza drops me off at the hospital. I texted my dad a few minutes ago telling him I was close. I step inside the lobby, greeted by a cold gust of wind. Spotting my dad against the wall near the elevators, I wave at him. He signals me over. My hands shake as I walk toward him. Not because I'm angry, but because I'm anxious to meet my brother.

My dad pulls me into a tight hug. "Thank God you're okay."

"How's Mom? How's the baby?"

"Fine. Perfectly fine." He presses the up arrow next to the elevator, and the doors slide open.

"What's his name?" I ask once we'er inside. I could have asked over the phone, but I rather find out in person. It's kind of a monumental moment after all.

"Layton."

We get off on the fourth floor and my dad leads me down the sterile hallway, my heart pounding the whole time. He stops in front of a partially cracked door and pushes it open.

"Honey?" he calls.

"Come in."

I step around my dad to see my mom sitting up in bed holding a baby in her arms. My heart flutters. I walk around the bed to see his face.

My heart melts at the green eyes and open smile.

"Do you want to hold him?" my mom asks.

"No—no. I'd break him."

"No, you won't." She holds him out, and I take him into my arms hesitantly. He's warm, and he snuggles against me.

"Hi, Layton."

He closes his eyes. If I can hold something as precious as him in my arms, how could I be a monster?

Only one more chapter! Thank you so much for making it this far! You reading my story means the world to me!