36 Here it Comes

As I'm tugging my shirt on on the morning of the full moon, someone knocks on my window. I pull back my curtains and nearly fall back. Jasper is standing on the other side. I drop the curtain.

"Addy, please, I'm here to help." His voice is muffled.

Should I? I hold the curtain to the side. "How?"

"Can I come in before someone sees me?"

"You bit me."

"Fair point, but really, I want to help."

With a horrible feeling about this, I unlock my window and push it upwards. He climbs in and I shut it, leaving it unlatched it. For a few seconds he stares at my exposed mark. I raise my eyebrows and clear my throat.

He rubs his chin. "I joined Xavier's pack."

What? "You hate alphas."

"I know. You need to come with me to his territory. Just for tonight. You won't have to worry about hurting your family."

"Travis showed Eliza how to lock me up."

"If she doesn't do it exactly right, you'll escape. Do you want to risk killing everyone in this house?"

"This wouldn't even be an issue if you didn't bite me."

He rubs his face. "I'm sorry, okay? I knew turning you would be the only shot I had of seeing you again. I'm a selfish wolf, and you can hate me all you want, but please, I'm begging you, let me help you."

My parents will flip. If I tell them I'm staying at Eliza's, they'll call her parents to make sure and then the lie will be up. They've already taken away pretty much everything they'd take away if I was really grounded—besides internet and television. Okay internet has been on restricted access. I feel like I'm one of those kids commercial tell to ask their parents' permission before logging onto their site. But I don't even have to ponder if I want to give it up. I will to protect them.

But going with Jasper means I may never return. Xavier could even kill me for being the reason he doesn't have Eliza.

"I can't even trust you to bring me home in the morning."

"Do you trust yourself to not kill your loved ones?"

I grab a notebook off my bookshelf and a pen, scribbling down:

    I'll be back tomorrow.

Might as well give some reassurance to them. I can't tell them I'm going to Xaviers' that's a no brainer.

I raise an eyebrow at Jasper, an ability I've been working on. "Try anything and come tomorrow I'll be able to shift whenever I want. Understand?"

He lets out a sigh of relief. "Absolutely. Come on." He lifts my window and climb through. I grab a pair of boots and socks, holding them as I maneuver my way out my window. I'll put them on in the car. "I parked farther down the sidewalk."

As we walk, I spot a silver truck. "You drive?"

"Just learned a couple weeks ago."

Unease overcomes me. "Maybe I should drive."

"It's fine. I haven't crashed yet."

"And I don't want to be in it when you do."

I convince him to hand over they keys, and once my boots are on, I follow his directions on which way to drive. He says it'll take roughly five hours.

We both allow the awkward silence and tension to build for an hour before I finally ask, "Why'd you join the pack?" I spare a glimpse from the road to look at him.