We Are No More

We told everyone in the village that we work at night we thought it would be the best way to tell them why we aren't around during the day which they seemed to believe us or so we thought. My grandma's house had a Mr. and Mrs. Scoffy move in yesterday. We went to make sure they we're settling in to the house and the village okay, they seemed a bit quirky to me but they made Luca's a bit on edge I didn't think he could get tense which worried.

On our walk home he said to me "until they move on I will hunt alone and get us food" I could see the worry in his eyes so I agreed and kissed him on the cheek. We had already fed tonight so when we got home we talked for a bit then we made love in our bedroom my body ached with pleasure from his touch then we fell asleep in each other's arms.

Meanwhile in the village Mr. and Mrs. Scoffy had awoken and went for a ride on the Sky and Lightning then they decided to have a nosey at our mansion. Of course they couldn't see anything because of the dark velvet curtains we had up but that seemed to fuel their curiosity even more.

Once they had settled the horses in the stable they wandered into the village and started asking people about me and Luca's and they were told how I used to go horse riding with my friend in the morning till she left and that I would be out in the garden during the day enjoying the sunshine and how after meeting Luca's that all changed.

Mr. and Mrs. Scoffy went home for some lunch, while in the village people began to think on how people had seemed to leave the village in a rush and were never seen again. They wanted to know why my tenants had asked them questions so they headed to the house.

Once they arrived at the house they asked "why you are here and what's with all the questions about Stella and Luca's". My tenants told them that "maybe we were vampires", the villagers said "you are joking they don't exist" and their reply was "I assure you they do".

They then showed them a picture of their son and told them how he was found dead with what would appear to be a bite mark on his neck and" now we travel looking for them as we want to rid the world of these blood sucking leeches".

They asked the villagers to stay a while and you will get you're proof that they are indeed vampires which they agreed to do my tenants could now see they were beginning to believe them.

As night began to fall we awoke from our deep slumber unaware of what had been going on in my house. Luca's passionately kissed me then left to hunt for us as we were hungry. That night I felt like I was being watched and I was right to feel like that.

As they had watched for my love to go out then they walked up to the mansion and knocked loudly on the door I had butterflies in my stomach as I answered it and to my dismay I saw the villagers who were now an angry mob who I used to know. Mrs. Scoffy asked "how could you leave your mortal life behind for him and death".

I knew they weren't stupid I answered "because I love him and I feel more alive than I did before". She got angry and said "how can you feel more alive when you cause death in order for you to live". I couldn't answer that as I knew she was right in a way a tear of blood ran down my cheek it horrified the villagers.

I then tried to close the door but I was set alight as my clothes burned into my skin with such searing pain I showed my fangs as I screamed the villagers gasped in horror and Mrs. Scoffy told me "you're lover will be next" then they all went home leaving me to burn. As I was burning and writhing in pain Luca's felt my distress but as he got near he realised it was too late as I had exploded and bits of fire had spreaded through the mansion setting it alight.

He let out a hurtful scream as he fell to the ground tears oem blood ran down his face. He picked himself up off the ground and went to my favorite spot at the stream. He felt he could not go on without me and sat down awaiting the sun's arrival.

As the sun arose steam came of him as he was writhing in pain he became a dusty statue of himself, then a gust of wind came along and he was dust on the wind which danced over the stream. Till the wind stopped and he fell into the stream and was gone forever.

By Anne-marie Cockburn