Finding Love

I woke up around nine o'clock this morning, and left the house to go for a drive on the way back I stopped off at the coffee shop where I had a toastie and cup of tea for breakfast, as I left the shop I bumped into my friend Amy, I told her that I was going to dig up the garden today, she offered to give me a hand I said "yes please we will get it done quicker".

I drove us home and got all of the stuff out of the shed then we sat on the doorstep and had a drink of juice before we used tape and measured off a good size of the garden and started digging, it was going well until Amy hit something solid and shouted on me. I came over to investigate and we dug around it without hands when we found it we wiped off the dirt and to our surprise it was a black metal box that looked old apart from having. a padlock on it. I wondered to myself could the horses have known it was there and why did it spook them.

I picked it up and took it into the house and placed it on my coffee table and went back into the garden once the digging was finished we planted a row of carrot seeds, a row of lettuce seeds and a row of leeks and watered them. Then to repay Amy for her kindness I made us an early dinner of steak and chips with a spicy onion sauce, she said "that's lovely Stella". I replied "glad you liked it"; we then had a few beers and tried to guess what was in the box I looked at my Grandma's photo saying "what is it" like she was really going to tell me.

Amy pleaded with me to open it while she was there but I said "I would like to open it on my own it might be from a family member" I only really knew my grandma and my mum and dad before they were killed by a joy rider cause he was not looking where he was going my blood still boils with the thought of what he did. They were on their way home from a night at the bingo, they were the kindest people in the world, I started crying though I didn't tell her why Amy handed me a tissue and said "it's okay I understand phone me and let me know what's in it please", I said I "will do".

Amy left at ten o'clock tonight. I went to bed and cried myself to sleep. When I woke up I changed my bedding and then had a warm shower and got dressed, while having some cornflakes and warm milk with a cup of tea it sounded like the box was calling to me to open it, I felt strange as boxes can't talk don't be daft I told myself. Then I heard it again open me it faintly sounded like my grandma a shiver went down my back.

I tried to distract myself by washing my dishes. I then could take it no longer I got a shovel from the shed and went into the living room after four strong whacks with the shovel the padlock broke, after the dust settled there was some letters addressed to Abigail and a key stuck at the bottom with tape.

I wondered who they were from as granddad didn't write to her, I remembered she said he was a chocolate and flowers giver. My fingers itched to open them, I got myself a cup of tea and started to read the letters one by one and realized they were love notes from someone with the letter L saying how much he loved her and enjoyed spending time with her.

This was news to me I was shocked as I thought granddad was her only love, but I was intrigued I continued to read more of the letters the last one was sad as he told her he couldn't stay with her and watch her grow old while he stayed young? And urged her to find love as he was leaving the village signed L with a kiss, I covered my mouth in shock I thought vampires don't exist do they she must have cried as some of the words were a bit smudged.

Then there was a small note from my grandma saying, I had searched for him for days then as I was ready to give up my search I bumped into this man he saw I was upset and took me home he took me home and made me a cup of tea and we chatted and over time I fell in love with him. So I am burying this to protect him and my family from my past love. I thought that was good of her to do that for granddad, she must have thought of him at times though.