New Bonds

I'd love some feedback on the story, so please let me know what you think! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                                                           CHAPTER 6

I looked at the phone as if it was a live snake and then looked back at Nash, who still had an inscrutable expression on his face but I could feel the tension oozing out of him. I wanted to run as fast as I could in the opposite direction. Hell, I wanted to cut off my own hand before taking that phone. But I never ran away from my problems before and I didn’t intend to start now. Granted, this is a bit different from any problem I’d faced before. Still, I held my hand out and reluctantly took the phone, then held it to my ear. “Hello?” I’m proud to say my voice didn’t waver as I spoke.

“How do you find your new life, darling? Satisfactory? I see you’ve made new friends, a very interesting choice.” He said with a deep voice like velvet. It reminded me of honey dripped over poison.

“As far as I see it, I didn’t have a choice. You took that away from me the second you killed my family.” My voice was deceptively cool. I didn’t need a mirror to know that my eyes must have been hard and cold as ice.

The bastard had the gall to laugh! I gritted my teeth. “I just wanted to let you know that you are cordially invited to the Winter Solstice Ball. Ask the men when and where, they’ll know.”

“Yeah? Well you can stuff your-”

 He cut me off before I could finish, “Now, now. Watch your language, little bird. I don’t want to have to cut your tongue off.” He said in the same casual tone and that chilled me to the bone.

“I will get you eventually.” I said in the most even voice I could manage, though on the inside, I was anything but calm.

“I look forward to it.” He was laughing as the line cut. I knew both the guys could hear that he hung up but they were still tensed.

I glared at the phone in my hand and said, “Cocky bastard,” before handing it back to Nash.

At that both the guys laughed. Some of the tension ebbed out of the room. “So, what exactly is a Winter solstice Ball?” I asked.

Gabe answered, “It’s the largest gathering of the Dark community each year. According to humans, I believe it falls on Christmas.”

“So pretty much everything evil gathers together at the same time humans celebrate Christ’s birth? Now that’s what I call ironic.”

“I suppose. Now, get some sleep. The sun may not burn you but all creatures of the Night are weaker during the day.” Nash stated, ushering me into the bedroom from yesterday.

I didn’t want to sleep, I was afraid to. I was scared that once I close my eyes, I’ll be swallowed up whole by the grief and darkness that seemed to be just on the edge of my mind. But I would go to sleep because I needed it. So I told them that I would rest and walked into my room.

When I realized that I didn’t have any clothes, I stopped at the door way and turned around to ask, “Nash, do you have any clothes that I could sleep with?”. I felt awkward asking them for stuff to wear, but I didn’t really have a choice now, did I? I silently swore that I would make it up to him.

He smiled and said, “I’ll take care of it.” I gave him a small smile and closed the door. I deemed both my t-shirt and hoodie lost causes so I threw them in a pile on the floor. My jeans were salvageable with only a few scarps and I folded it and left it on the edge of the bed. I took a quick shower and moaned as the warm water fell on my skin. There was nothing better than a hot shower to relax sore muscles.