Chapter 19: The Eterna Forest

First, it was about time we ate. Everyone was starving, so we all picked our fair share of berries. Secondly, we needed sleep. It was a good idea to rest before going into such a... creepy place.

"Well, let's just get this over with." said Beedrill as we got to the entrance to the Forest. Chelsea nodded. I wondered why she was so scared of forests.

"Alright then, let's go." said Alex, and the eight of us walked forward.

The Eterna Forest looked a lot like the Ilex forest in Johto. I could still hear the sounds of Caterpie, Weedle, Spinarak, and other bug pokemon chattering away, but I also heard another sound. A hissing sound. Could there be snakes here? I hoped not.

"I don't like this..." said Chelsea. She looked as if she was expecting to be jumped at any moment. "Me neither." said Dragonite. "I've heard that sound."

Chelsea turned to him. "W-what is that sound?" she asked. Dragonite listened to the Forest. "Ariados." said Patch and Dragonite at the same time. I had a feeling Chelsea was dreading to hear that. "Oh." she squeaked.

As we progressed through the forest, the hissing was getting louder. "Ohhhh..." groaned Chelsea. The hissing got even louder. "I don't think they want us here..." said Paul. The hissing was getting very loud. Finally, Butterfree shouted, "SHUT UP, YOU PUNY INSECTS!!!"

That did it. Three Ariados jumped down from the trees in front of us. We turned around to escape them, but five more were behind us. Patch hid behind Dragonite. We turned around again to see the crowd getting larger. "Okay, not puny! Not insects!" shouted Butterfree.

Alex was just about to attack them when about 10 of them started shooting silk at him, wrapping him up in a web. It completely covered him, so that he couldn't move. "Fight them!" I said.

And we did. Butterfree put a few of them to sleep, Chelsea Absorbed their HP, (but it wasn't very effective) and Beedrill was going nuts with Fury Attack. Paul's Pidgeot, Delta, was Pecking away at the spiders, and I charged into a bunch of them with Quick Attack, but Patch kind of just... watched. But even with our combined power, there were too many of them. We needed fire...

Then something else jumped down from the trees. Bursts of fire shot out at the Ariados, setting them on fire in turn. This continued until all of the spider Pokemon were lying, burned, on the ground.

I looked up to see a Chimchar. He looked relieved that they were all gone. "Are you guys alright?" he asked us. "Fine." everyone replied, except for Chelsea, who squinted at the Chimchar. "I've seen you before..."

The Chimchar frowned. "Me? I've never seen you before." Then Chelsea found it. "It's you! My Chimchar!" she shouted.

"Uh, you're a Pokemon, you know." said the Chimchar. "Besides, my trainer is..." His voice trailed off. "No," said Chelsea, "I didn't die. See Team Galactic are turning people into Pokemon."

The Chimchar frowned for a moment, but then realization struck him. "So you're... Wow... This is actually kind of cool, Chelsea! Now you and I can communicate and stuff, and I can show you how to use attacks and stuff... Say, how's that working out?"

"Fine," said Chelsea awkwardly, "but... How did you escape that place? The Team Galactic base, I mean? I saw them kill you..." Chimchar's face darkened. "No. That wasn't me you saw killed."

"They clone Pokemon. That's why they have so many Glameow and other Pokemon. I was cloned, and they locked us both up... Me and the clone, I mean. They took the wrong one of us to you. They wanted to make sure you didn't come back, but we got switch. He was a great guy, though."