10

"You know, you're a hard girl to track down," Michael commented as he walked towards me.

I stiffened at the thought of what he would do to me. I had done everything he wanted though. I wasn't with Azrael anymore. It wasn't my fault he chose a human to be with.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"I believe you and I had a discussion about my brother."

I scoffed. "Does it look like Azrael and I are together?"

"No," he conceded. "It looks like he is currently with that human."

I glanced at Melissa. Of course she would create another problem for me.

"I don't see what this has to do with me."

"Anna," he started. He laced his fingers behind his back and took a slow step towards me. "This has everything to do with you. My brother is needed in heaven. He does not need to be here, running around with another human girl."

"Not my problem, Michael. Make her deal with it."

He glanced at the girl cowering behind Liam's desk. "Does she look like she could convince anyone of anything?"

He had a point. Still, it wasn't my problem. I didn't get why he didn't just order Azrael back to heaven. I was sure he had the power to do so.

"Why don't you order him back?"

"It needs to be on his terms. Ordering Azrael to do anything is a sure fire way of receiving defiance. So, that leaves you."

"He doesn't want anything to do with me," I insisted.

"But he will listen to you. Convince him to come back to heaven and perhaps I can help you with this council issue."

I paused. The offer was tempting. Still, I didn't know if Liam had something else up his sleeve. Maybe he had already figured out how to force the council out of power.

Or maybe he hadn't and we were walking into certain death.

"Did you destroy the blood reserve?" I asked.

Just a slight upturn of his lips told me everything I needed to know.

"I did. There is no leaving the castle until you convince Azrael to come back to heaven. My bet is on Melissa dying by day two."

I couldn't believe him. He was going to let this girl die a very painful death because he wanted to tighten Azrael's leash? A ping of disappointment rang through me. I had dedicated my life to serving God and these higher beings. Not one had lived up to expectations.

"Fine," I agreed quietly. "I'll try to convince Azrael to go back. But what if I can't?"

"Well, for Melissa's sake, I hope you can."

With that, he disappeared from the office. I let out a heavy sigh as I ran my hands through my hair. I was brought back to the moment by a small whimper from under Liam's desk.

My eyes rolled on their own accord as I stepped up to his solid wood desk and crossed my arms. I felt bad that she was so terrified. I mean, she had every reason to be afraid, but not to act like a coward. God, I had been kidnapped, sold into slavery, and turned into a vampire and you didn't see me cowering under a desk.

"Come on."

"Is he gone?" She cried.

"Do you see him in here?" I snapped back.

She didn't respond. Instead, she stood slowly and surveyed the room.

"Anna?" Liam called from down the hall.