THE DAY AFTER THAT

Vash slept in the guest room last night, I felt kind of... lonesome... I think. I spat out the toothpaste in my mouth and walked across the hall to check on Vash, but he

wasn't in the room, "Vash?" I looked in every room upstairs, the the kitchen, then the living room, then the other bathroom. I walked outside to the peach trees, nothing. I walked

back inside and got dressed, another over-sized blouse with some baggy jeans. I decided to go to the saloon to drink away the awful feeling that he left without even saying goodbye

to me. 'Just when you start to like people, they up an' leave... huh dad?' I looked at the sky, hoping he heard me. I walked in with my head down, I couldn't see anything but the

floor and my feet. I went to sit on my stool, but when I sat down, "Wah! I'm so sorry!" I didn't even open my eyes yet to see who it was.

"Oh! It's you, how are you doing? You don't look like you had good enough sleep last night." I sat next to him and had Amber throw me the usual. I turned to Vash with an innocent

smile, then slapped him on the face. "That is for leaving with out telling me anything! You scared me!" he rubbed his cheek, "Ow, that actually hurt pretty bad..." 'Damn it! Now I feel guilty.' I looked back over to him with an apologetic expression, and he shot the same look back at me, "Hey, Quick. I'm sorry I freaked you out like that, I wasn't trying to. Just wanted a drink s'all." I patted him on the back signifying that I forgave him, and he shot me another heart warming smile.

After that Vash left, he said he had places to go, and we probably wouldn't see eachother again.

It's been three weeks. Four. Five. I'm still counting. The trees stopped growing peaches and I don't know why. I'm an out cast now... I don't even have Amber. Some bandits came and took over the water systems. Other than that, our city is about the same. I still go 'round beatin' punks up, but everyone is just depressed now, so no ones in the mood to go muggin' anymore. We don't have much money and the populations gone down because a disease came round, killed a bunch of youngins. No ones having any kids either, people are moving away, too. I stepped out of my house and walked to the run down doughnut shop. No one works there anymore. I stepped in and looked at the table me and Vash sat at. I missed him. I looked over at the giant information panel for Aprill, it's more of a graffiti gallery now. "Maybe, one day, he'll come back and fix all of this... But. For now... I'll just, sit. And. And wait... I guess." I sat down at the table. And looked at the dusty menu. "I'll take a number four Cathy," I paused and stared at nothin', "Yes ma'am, that'll be all for today. Yep, I know it's a lot, but I have a big appetite." I teared up, my stomach growled, I haven't eaten in days. "Vash... were are you?..." I laughed, "Probably bein' a lecher to some pretty lady." Then I whispered to myself, "Someone not me. You pushed me out of your life. You probably don't even remember my name." I got up, gripping the table out of frustration as warm tears rolled down my tense, tired, sore, beaten-up face. I pulled out my gun. That trigger was lookin' real friendly at me. I opened my mouth, pushing the one of a kind muzzle of Quick in between my top and bottom jaw. I pulled the trigger. click. Nothin'. click. Nothin'. Before I tried again, I remembered Vash. He told me of how much he disliked suicide. I sobbed and fell to the floor. "This is all my fault! Mine! It's all mine! I was s'posed to save this god forsaken town! Instead I broke it!! All because I couldn't get over a guy I only just met..." and I sat there, doing nothing for 6 whole days, no drinking nor eating. Soon, everyone in the town left. Except for me.